Thursday, July 23

COVID Comes Closer (too close!); plus other stuff

Yesterday I learned that my office has a positive COVID case. Not just my building (which had had a couple), but the company I work for. The guy (Kevin, our company president) has been in the office nearly every day since this all began. Lots of time with his door closed, but there. I went in on Tuesday and he was there for a while, but I didn't even see him. However, my manager, with whom I had 2 hour-long meetings that day, probably had seen him and even worse, had ridden in his car the week prior, and we all know there's a 14-day incubation (or whatever) period. So. 

Shan is getting tested today or tomorrow, and we'll see what her results are.  

When I found out I became instantly nervous, and blurted out to the kids that I probably needed to not kiss/hug them until we know. Maybe overly cautious and it likely scared Kate, but I'd rather be overdramatic than infect all of them. I feel fine, Shan feels fine, in fact Kevin felt fine last I heard. I considered sleeping in the guest room instead of our queen-sized bed last night, but in the end didn't. I'm not panicked, but I'm also busy with work and trying not to think/worry about things so much. I had a moment in prayer recently where I was working on Trust. Even if I can't trust God about the entire future, can I at least trust Him for one day? I think so, yes. One day at a time seems reasonable. Plus, I'm sure you've had the thought, as I have, that we're all bound to get it eventually.

::: UPDATE: She was Negative! Whew! 

------

In unrelated news, I just made a pot of stovetop mac and cheese (homemade) and added in crumbled bacon. (No really, it's unrelated, Kate asked me for it for lunch today. I WANT to eat a big bowl full, with a spoon, and then finish off the cookies and cream ice cream for dessert... but I'm not going to.)

------

We found out that band camp is going to be entirely virtual, and that all the competitions and trips they had planned for this year are cancelled. Boo hoo! They're still going to try to create this year's show, in some way. They're hopeful they'll be able to play at football games, which are still inexplicably on, though delayed for 2 weeks. They "plan to utilize protocols for safeguarding members, including using tools to minimize the production and spread of aerosolized particulates, sanitizing facilities and more," whatever that means. Something about bell covers for instruments.

------

Here are 10 good things about right now:
  1. Both kitties are curled up within view, one within distance for me to reach. Ash loves to help me work. 
  2. I have lost 4 pounds as I begin a big effort to lower my cholesterol. I also started taking Fish Oil and eating more "heart healthy" things. Yay, oatmeal! Yay, fruits and veggies! Also yay, LOTS of water! (Boo, being older, but yay for knowing what needs doing and doing it.)
  3. The heat of summer is trying to kill off my spring plants, but it hasn't yet. I pruned the scaveloa pretty severely and that helped. My tomato plant has 11 tomatoes, of which about 6 are red and almost ready to be picked. They're tiny, about 2" diameter if that, but I'm still excited.
  4. I am about to finish a BIG project for work that's been the bane of my existence this week.
  5. The kids are going nextdoor to swim this afternoon (I'm so, so grateful for these kind neighbors.)
  6. I read that dispensation from Mass has been extended, in my archdiocese, until Aug. 2. No guilt!
  7. A very large tree branch fell in our front yard but it didn't hit anything. 
  8. The crape myrtles are blooming; lots of pink in my back yard.
  9. Some birds discovered the bird bath Shawn bought me for my birthday; they don't come visit often, but it's fun when they do. Eastern Towhees. 
  10. Shawn and the kids painted our kitchen this week, while I worked! It needed painting; the beige was scuffed and dirty looking all the time because it was matte finish and showed every bump. See how pretty it turned out? 
Before, dingy beige

After, "Graceful Grey" (Behr)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Prayers for your health - Physical and mental. Hope everything turns out okay.
Sorry to hear about Alex's band camp going virtual.
Your kitchen looks nice.
Have a good week!

suzanne day by day said...

Oh yay for fresh clean paint!!! And I hope that you do NOT get Covid. It's so scary when it comes so close.