Tuesday, October 13

Productivity or Lack Thereof

I am having the hardest time with productivity. Even while working from home. I've tried lots of different approaches to managing it: 

  • Making a long, continuous to-do list. Doesn't work. I keep adding to it and feel like I never cross things off; I do, it just doesn't feel like it since the list gets longer.
  • Scheduling tasks on my calendar. I've tried to make this work for a LONG time, but it's a hard Nope. I get mad when someone else's meeting (no one respects other people's calendars), or pop-up task, forces me to move MY task. 
  • Pomodoro method. Kinda successful, but the time I give myself for a task (25 minutes, 30 minutes) is almost never enough to get it completed. So I start the timer a second time (after a break), but then can't focus again. Probably a me-problem.
  • Lately I'm trying the Top 3 tasks of the day method. It's going... ok, I guess, but again, other things pop up and so I don't always even finish 3 measly items. !!!! It's infuriating. 

I've also learned that OMG, when I am in the office, it's nothing but Distraction from my boss! I love her dearly, but she talks to herself, and kind-of halfway to me, through the wall that we share, and it's SUPER annoying. Like, "Mike Smith calling me, wonder what he wants?" or "Did we...." (as she clicks around in her files)... "oh, here is that thing I'm looking for, never mind!" AGHHHH. Working at home so much during COVID has made me really NEED my quiet.

Anyway, I'm at the office today, and I have one meeting at 10:00 am which is a rather stressful topic (and promises one million more tasks in my future), so I'm dreading it. I hope to finish things BEFORE that meeting: Task number one in the next hour. Then task number two after the meeting, and task number three right after lunch and before I have to leave here at 3:00 (am loving the hard-stop at 3:00 for carpool, I have to say). 

I guess I can't stay here and whine about it but need to get going, lol. 


1 comment:

suzanne day by day said...

The constant comments from your boss would be so hard to ignore! I am hopeful that this is a temporary thing and you will get your productivity mojo back soon. Sometimes it goes in waves for me.

Also I hope the meeting was less stressful than you anticipated!