It is my policy not to discuss politics in polite company, but what else has been on anyone's mind lately?! (Covid.) I can't decide if it's my age that makes me suddenly more interested in it, or if the news is just louder with politics now than it was when I was in my 20s and 30s so that I can't NOT be interested. I mean, I know that every generation has its huge political issues and battles. But last week, watching the election returns (not) coming in, my gosh, it was long. I couldn't stop refreshing my Twitter feed for those 4 days, and felt like I HAD to know the minute there was a result. And there was such relief on Saturday morning! An answer, an end. (ha, ha, ha)
I feel despondent today about the way forward. Will there be an actual coup? Will the military be involved? What the heck is happening?! Where are the GOOD PEOPLE? AND: How can we possibly work together to understand each other when there are 2 different "realities," based on which news you believe? How in the world can we resolve it? Make each person who speaks publicly do so while wearing a lie detector? (Then the Machines are in charge!! Although, I think that'd be preferable at the moment.) Do away with ALL the news outlets and social media sites, and start over with what?... how...? ...there's no way to do that. News is ruined forever, I guess. Or, put another way, everyone has an agenda. My brain goes in an infinite loop about this. I hope someone out there is smart enough to create a plan to really fix this broken, broken nation.
Meanwhile, I will continue to live my privileged life, typing out weekly dinner menus for my own satisfaction. I guess I can move forward in my world, in some way.
After cleaning out the fridge and freezer from the hurricane, it feels like we have lots of space and breathing room in our culinary life, lol. I mean, I can see the back of the fridge! There are no olives, no maraschino cherries, no jellies or extra jars. And for a while, there were no Tupperware containers, either! But then, I made a few meals. ;)
S - Jambalaya with chicken and sausage. Family recipe and it is THE BEST. I forgot to buy white beans to put on top, but it was still amazing and made a lot of leftovers.
M - These new-to-us Pork Chops, with green beans and mac and cheese. Our family, aside from me, is not big on vinegar -- not even Balsamic -- but I think enough of it burned off in cooking, or was outplayed enough by rosemary and thyme, as rosemary and thyme do, to not be offensive. I thought they were delicious if slightly overcooked. I'll try them again, probably.
T - Taco Tuesday on a Tuesday! We like them best with trashy Nacho-flavored shells. :)
W - Creamy Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup and garlic toast. It was a perfect night for it, too, rainy and dark. It only made 4 servings' worth, and I'm bummed about it. Note if you want to try this: Make the pasta separately. Something about cooking the pasta slowly makes it come out gummy and weird. I think it'd be much better if you cook it separately, then put a little serving of it in a big bowl, and then cover that with a ladle or 2 of the soup.
Th - Homemade pizza
F - nothing planned. It's a football game night, but supposed to be cold. Hmmm. Will we or won't we? (Probably will.)
Other things on my mind include the Holidays... we are supposed to visit Shawn's mom for Thanksgiving - just told her this week, in fact - but I am feeling hesitant about it as cases go up and several older people in my circle (my parents' generation) HAVE Covid right now. I don't want to miss out on seeing her, and I know she needs to feel loved and cared for and visited, but I just am really unsure.
Lastly, grocery shopping. I think I'm ready to give it up in-person for a while. Wearing reading glasses, plus the mask, plus just being around so many people... I don't HAVE to do this, there IS another way. I'm going to try an online order or two this weekend, and see how I feel about it. Maybe it will keep me from picking up extra things I don't need, too (on-sale Cheez-Its, I'm looking at you).
No comments:
Post a Comment