Alex is now licensed to drive and insured on our plan. Oh my gosh, that is crazy. I suppose he could drive himself (and Kate) to piano lessons tomorrow night. All by himself. In the dark. The state says he can, anyway. My brain short-circuits a little bit when I think about it, though. Just... he'll be out there! On his own! Making decisions that are, in fact, somewhat life or death. Nope, better stop trying to make this paragraph more descriptive with sentences like THAT.
......
Christmas is close! I think we have nearly everything, except 1 or 2 items that are still in transit. Santa won't really know for sure until she does the wrapping. We always say that as kids get bigger, their presents get smaller and more expensive. That is proving true this year. I'm considering adding a package of underwear for each kid, just to make the Christmas morning pile a little more inviting, as sad as that seems. (But they need underwear! And it would be funny! Maybe!) It's so hard to resist the call of commercialism, telling me that more is better.
MORE IS NOT NECESSARILY BETTER. LET ME TEACH MY KIDS THAT CHRISTMAS ISN'T ABOUT THINGS.
......
I have started taking cholesterol medicine in a very low dosage. I am happy/unhappy about it. Happy because I hope it will really help my stupid high cholesterol number to go down. Unhappy because it makes me feel like a bad person, THANK YOU DIET CULTURE, that I "let" my cholesterol get so high. I mean, yes, for a couple of years I was following a diet plan that encouraged eggs and real butter/cream over "light" or "low-fat" options... that was probably not great for me. But still, some of it is genetic and I shouldn't have to feel guilt along with the bummed-out feeling of adding an old-person's medicine to my daily pile of pills. Ugh. Anyway, I am on it now, I have been working out pretty damn consistently for a year and a half already, and I am changing some food habits. There is Raisin Bran in my pantry, people. And Benecol in the fridge. Never heard of Benecol? Neither had I! We ate vegetarian black-bean chili last night, and I enjoyed some whole wheat spaghetti on Monday. This is going to happen, my cholesterol will go down and I am going to live a long, healthy life with only the occasional indulgence, so help me. I am mad and on a MISSION. My body had better cooperate.
3 comments:
YOUR SON IS A DRIVER OMG. Your whole first paragraph is very relatable!
And I am having the same sort of struggle with chiding my daughter about how presents aren't the reason for the season, and how we would have a wonderful holiday even without a single gift, and then five minutes later adding something to my amazon cart because I feel like I haven't bought her enough (NOT true).
I've missed your blog! I think I sunk in a bit of depression over the last few weeks, and one thing I forgot is the pleasure of reading your blog. I'll come back and read more carefully, but wanted to comment that you definitely shouldn't feel bad about the cholesterol medicine. Or maybe I should feel bad about all the salt I eat, because I'm about to get on high blood pressure medicine. I exercise a lot and eat just fine, as you probably know! We visited family the week before Christmas. However, my brother seems to have COVID (getting tested today) and he's at my parents' house. EEK! It's a big house and they are staying on separate floors. Yes, I am worried! Will update you when/if anything happens.
xoxoxo
Post a Comment