Wednesday, July 21

First 2 Days, Done!

The first 2 days of Alex's band camp are done. They were busy ones, with nighttime Events both nights. Hooray, the hard part is over! All we have left are 3 lunches this week and then one noon-2:00 event Tuesday next week. (...Until football starts.) I'm exhausted but happy.

Allegra (my co-director) and I were the last 2 people in the school building yesterday when we left at 9:15 pm. We had a potluck for 250 people in the cafeteria, cleaned it up, including "pulling trash" from all the cans and taking it to the back dumpster (I didn't know the phrase "pulling trash" until these days of volunteering/clean-up duty; very custodial). But I thought, as we walked out the door, THIS is the kind of thing that they always talk about that makes memories -- being out late, being exhausted together, but having accomplished a good thing. I was glad I was present enough to notice.

And Bless Kate: She is enduring this week like a champ. She came with me on Monday to the Directors' Lunch, and was properly bored. So Tuesday she elected instead to stay home in the morning -- she watched Gilmore Girls and made friendship bracelets -- but came with me in the afternoon to set up for the potluck. And she was really helpful -- earned herself a service hour! I know she kind-of hates all the focus on band/Alex; she's not very good at being a "background" character, lol. Next week she gets to go to the beach with her best friend's family and I'm so glad. She'll kind-of be their "special guest" so that will hopefully make up for this week. I did take her thrifting and shoe-shopping yesterday in between events, which was fun! (I had taken the day off work.) She helped me pick out a few things for myself, too. 

When I drive by the practice field at school, Alex is usually supervising his section. In his sunglasses, looking like he's in charge. Makes me so glad to see him developing leadership skills, growing and becoming. It's just one of the very best parts of parenting, isn't it? 

No comments: