Alex Update:
The Harrison High School Marching Band won their first competition of the season, with a huge score of 92.1 (usually scores are in the 80s)! It was a great night, a local competition here in our county. They worked SO hard. Just a week prior, we had seen the end of practice (a "Parent Performance," the night that we had our dinner party) and it was a sad, sad state of affairs. But hard work and adrenaline made it all come together and it was a beautiful performance. So proud of them! We go on to our out-of-town competition this Saturday.
Alex was also named one of the top 50,000 kids taking the PSAT for the National Merit Scholarships, and was recognized for that. Top 50K doesn't seem that great unless you think about the number of high schools in your own state, let alone the whole country. Then it's pretty impressive.
Kate Update:
After a harrowing day of tryouts -- mostly because she was shooting daggers at me the whole time -- Kate made the volleyball team she wanted to make. She was mad at me because I wouldn't let her try out for the National/Travel team. Her 3 friends from school were all trying out for that highest level (only one of them made it). But sorry, girlie, I still have a full-time job and I knew I simply could not make that work, especially since this is our first go-round with club volleyball. Still, she played her heart out and maybe the anger even fueled her to do better. On day 2 of the tryouts, I watched from across the gym as she was pulled aside during a drill. She went to the sidelines and the coach said a few things to her and then fist-bumped her. Kate smiled ever so slightly, but her whole body relaxed and got lighter in that moment; she hopped off to get back to the drill but I knew they had offered her a position on the team. And, oh, my heart just swelled with happiness for her. What a moment.
My bank account may never recover from this, however. Did you know that sports (outside of the little Catholic schools' league we are used to) are Stupid Expensive?! Imagine me looking at the grand total just for the uniforms (because there are so many "optional" pieces that I know she will want) and blinking slowly, repeatedly. Yikes. (Mom and Dad, don't worry, we have it covered, it's just surprising.)
Shawn Update:
Yes, there is a Shawn update! He also had a big win this week, in that his Atlanta Cornhole League team, The Sigourney Fevers 2, WON the local tournament last night! I'm so happy for him and his buddies. I like that he has this way to relax and have a beer with friends during the work-week. And I love that they WON! They now go on to a state ... wait for it ... Corn-ament! ;)
Me Update:
My Events Planning band job is kicking my butt. Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. My partner got Covid, for starters. We have a home game and a competition this weekend so I'm having to manage those without her (thank goodness there are plenty of volunteers). And our next event, Senior Night, has had hiccups as well (the location we wanted is unavailable; the caterer is unavailable). It will all work out but it's caused me to wake up THINKING in the middle of the night, and that's always terrible.
Last night was the first one in a while that I've gotten to stay at home after work. Alex had his piano lesson, and I did run to the grocery store, but after that, I sat on the couch and read my book. A luxury! I'm reading The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate -- a book I picked up while just browsing at Barnes & Noble, and how long has it been since you've done THAT?! so fun! -- I really like it so far. I was tired from getting my flu shot the day before, so a night off was just what the doctor ordered. That was MY Big Win for the week! :)
4 comments:
Hooray for family victories! Congratulations to all!
I can only imagine how expensive big kids sports must be. Also band. Sweet of you to say you can handle it. I know you can. But...
Congratulations on a bunch of family wins! And hats off to you for your hard work managing it all! I read The Book of Lost Friends -- enjoyed it!
Wow! You all have had a LOT going on!
Post a Comment