Tuesday, August 16

Dinners this week, now with less Alex

We survived move-in day. Actually it was very smooth and well-organized, there was not much acute stress involved! Just that low-level stress and dread when you're about to let your firstborn go off on his own. Ha. One tiny frustration when Alex first tried his room key and couldn't seem to get the door open -- it's a sticky, heavy door you have to shove -- and I thought, "Uh-oh, this is not a good way to start out!" But never fear, we/he figured it out. Some bullet-y notes:
  • While waking up at 5am was not fun, the 8am move-in slot was a good call -- fewer people around, fresh volunteers ready to help, short lines, etc.
  • It was GOOD that his roommate wasn't there yet, because we could get set up easily, using the 2nd bed area to toss empty boxes and stash things while we got situated.
  • It was not so good that his roommate wasn't there yet, for loneliness/homesickness reasons after we parents left.
  • On the other hand, maybe that was also good.
  • Rolling bins! The school provided these deep, wide bins to take things up in the elevator. We got all of Alex's worldly possessions in one bin (plus a few things carried by hand) and made it in ONE trip! This was amazing. The dorm he's in is 9 stories; elevators are critical! Thankfully Alex is on the 3rd floor and right near a staircase if he's ever in a hurry. 
  • We were grateful that a huge rain burst didn't start while we had an open cart outdoors -- it waited until we were done moving in, safely under a roof!
  • Making a bunk bed is still a PITA! I remember from the one year I had one, ugh. This is why college kids never wash their sheets and I can't say I blame them.
  • It's so much easier to have a BOY, particularly one who doesn't care too much about decor. We didn't even get him a futon, just a mini papasan chair. We saw a lot of dads carrying in lots of extra things, like bins and curtains and rugs and ottomans! We did our best to make Alex's tiny room livable, with a small rug, throw pillow, blanket and bookshelf, but... it still looks like a dorm. He has what he needs. (I do hope he'll hang some pictures on his walls but I left that to him -- it's his room, after all.) These moms who do a full-scale magazine spread for their kids are not letting the kid BE HIS OWN PERSON, in my opinion. Have you seen this crazy dorm-room Instagram account? We don't live in MS, but wow, that makes me want to throw things. People HIRE someone to do these. To decorate a DORM. Insanity.
  • We took him to (a delicious) lunch, one last little trip to Target, and then we had to leave. It was as terrible as you would expect it to be, for me. I got so choked up. And could see the tears in his eyes, too. I remember that, being in his shoes. Wanting to be brave and excited, but feeling so nervous at the same time.
  • Enough of that. I let the tears fall quite a bit in the car on the way home, but I know he's okay and I'm excited for him. Band camp started Saturday morning bright and early, roommate moved in Sunday and I was able to send a little bag with a couple more things I thought he needed. He's doing it! It's going to be great!
And he isn't coming home for dinner, sob... but that has meant: Seafood and creamy sauces! Alex is not a fan. So guess what? We can eat it as much as we want now, haha!

This week's menu: 
Saturday: Sushi rolls we made ourselves. Used both crab and (cooked) salmon, and they were delicious. 
Sunday: Skinny fettucine alfredo with shrimp, and Caesar salad.
Monday: (takeout)
Tuesday: Baked chicken with this creamy veg casserole (I know, I know, canned Cream of Mushroom is so gauche! But makes a yummy sauce, ya gotta admit)
Wednesday: (volleyball so it's Helpie Selfie)
Thursday: I planned homemade margherita pizza, but I couldn't find fresh basil at either store I went to! Will have to go again later this week (which I hate to do, but sometimes can't be helped).
Friday: is the first home high school football game, and I think we're going! 

Our May-to-August gauntlet of huge life-events has finally become a chapter, closed. I am so grateful for all of it, so glad we had those experiences. And so glad they are now in the rearview. Onward! Go Dawgs! ;) 

3 comments:

Sherry said...

You are doing great! And so is Alex!

Shannon said...

Love your post!!

I didn't cry on the way home (all 3 miles from campus) but I am having a rough time with this.

Band camp was 4 hours away and they were kept very busy. Last week felt like a half dozen other times she has been away from home (camp, choir tour).

But since they got back from band camp, I'm more of a mess! A bunch of band members got COVID at band camp, so band events scheduled for yesterday and today were cancelled. I have access to her Google account and can see how much time she has spent watching YouTube when in the dorm, and I worry. "Welcome Week" seems too long already! She will start classes and regular band practices on Monday 8/29. I want to make the transition smoother for her but making her feel like I think she needs to be rescued or be busier is not what she needs right now.

Also torn between telling her to change her password and continuing to spy/ get glimpses into her day TBH.

But dinners are easier. No need to make a fish or vegetarian alternative when we have a meat main dish.

Re:Move-in. Glad yours went smoothly. Dan was joking that we should make Sophie be in marching band next year whether she likes it or not because early move in was awesome!

Lee said...

Shannon, I so feel you! That is a really long time to wait, until the 29th! Alex's gf is at another university and had to report 1 week early for band camp, and most of the rest of the school wasn't really opened up yet so she was without a roommate and without many of the usual dining options. I felt so bad for her!

I'm watching Alex's whereabouts on Life360, I will admit. And when he's at his dorm for what seems like too long, I'm also worrying that he's watching tiktok or youtube and not out, meeting people, making friends. I'm checking it less frequently as the days go by, but still checking. All the while telling myself he has to do this on his own, I need to NOT interfere. (Hard when I'm following a lot of the school's instagram accounts and I see an event coming up, and want to immediately send it to him, "Have you signed up for this??" But I resist as much as possible!)