I've had it on my mind since before we left him in Athens on August 12. In fact, I had written a little To-Do Item, "Care Package," on the September 1 page of my planner, so I wouldn't forget. I wanted to give him a little time to miss me first, and then swoop into his shiny new post office box with a creatively and lovingly packed reminder of home.
My Mom sent me a few care packages, particularly during my freshman year. I still have the little ceramic Halloween candle she tucked into the first package along with some candy corns and warm socks. My Mom was also the BEST letter-writer. When she wasn't sending packages, she was definitely sending long, newsy letters on cute, seasonally appropriate printer paper (remember that??), and I loved to receive them, and read them while walking back to my dorm, or on a bench on the quad with fall leaves underfoot (seems too perfect but it was truly a thing I did, and a memory I cherish).
I've also studied our friend Swistle's many wonderful posts about care packages. I started reading them well before I even had a kid in college, of course, and I want to be like Swistle! I did use her lists as a good supplement to UGA's "what to bring" dorm lists, and made sure Alex started out with some Easy Mac, vitamins, his favorite cookies (Chewy Chips Ahoy), band aids, hand warmers for when it gets cold, gift cards, granola bars, etc.
But the universe has conspired against me, otherwise, and so far I have sent him Zero packages! Not even from Amazon! (And also not from the places that want you to subscribe to their "cards for college" service, and deliver pre-made care packages on the regular to your Darling Son or Darling Daughter. I have mixed feelings about these, but mostly don't believe in them... except when I start worrying that everyone is getting them once a month like clockwork while my kid isn't.)
The obstacles have included:
- He came home after two weeks, again after five weeks, and a third time after 7 weeks. While I have loved getting to see him, it does sort-of preclude the SENDING of a little giftie.
- We went to see HIM! We enjoyed our first football game in Athens and that, too, negated the need to send him something.
- Other people have beat me to it! His girlfriend's mom got a package to him last week, as did his Gammy! So now it's another "reset" - I feel like I need to wait to send him anything lest his room be covered up in candy and granola bars! And by the time he runs low on supplies it will be Thanksgiving!
But I'm really sad that my vision of him being delightfully surprised by a box filled with clever treats hasn't happened yet.
4 comments:
Don’t feel sad. He is only a fourth of the way through freshman year. There’s still plenty of time to mail a surprise. The gift bags and supplies sound like really nice ways to support Alex!
But if you ever feel like it's silly to mail a package right before or after you see Alex, you can always know that it won't be as silly as what I did yesterday.
I LITERALLY walked to the post office and mailed Sophie a care package then got in the car to drive to campus and drop off her winter coat, hat and gloves in person while doing another errand in that vicinity. And she will probably stay at home one night this weekend because her roommate's boyfriend is visiting. :)
But 1) it was a Halloween care package that I've put off sending at least a week and 2) I figure even kids/ young adults going to school in their home town will enjoy care packages.
This was the first official care package from us. I also had a dozen Insomnia Cookies delivered to her on her birthday (which she chose to celebrate with band friends instead of with us) and ordered a Chicago Manual of Style quick guide to be delivered to the Amazon Hub on campus in advance of a writing assignment for a history class.
Sophie being at Pitt continues to be a huge adjustment for all of us. I have been listening to the audio book of "The Naked Roommate: For Parents Only". It is helping, or the walks I am taking to listen to it are helping, or both.
Shannon, thank you for the podcast rec! Going to check that out this afternoon! I LOVE that you mailed Sophie a package and then drove over to her dorm. haha! Perfection. And I definitely agree that kids going to school in their hometown still appreciate care packages.
I'm not truly sad, of course, it's just weird that nothing goes the way we imagine it will go, you know? ;)
I think this is excellent -- he is getting to see you, you are getting to see him, he is getting care packages. If it were me, I might set a date in my mind to work toward -- maybe... a date in January during which nothing will be going on, he'll presumably have just been home for the holidays, and there is that dreary lull wherein you have nothing to look forward to but cold weather. Ahem. Maybe that is just me. But you can start stockpiling now!!!
Well, just so you'll feel better ... the thought of a care package probably never would have entered my mind if you hadn't told me about it (or I saw it somewhere else). I have an awesome mom, and I never went home on weekends my freshman year, and I never got a care package. Or knew anyone who did, I don't think. So interesting -- all our different experiences and personalities. But yes, I think now I just might be sending a care package in a few years ... I think I just might!
Post a Comment