(Even though it's a Monday.)
It's 47 degrees, currently. What bliss! I had to wear a vest-jacket and layers! And socks! Definitely not sandals weather this morning. I live for this time of year. Hot coffee, bathrobe, heavy comforter, fuzzy socks, and sweatshirts: Welcome back!
As I rev up my work-engine for a very busy week, with a meeting I'm sort-of in charge of, on Friday, and some office visitors T-Th (UGH to all of it), I'm still thinking about this past weekend. We had tickets to the UGA football game and we had such a nice day of it.
The game was at 7:00 pm, so thankfully we did NOT have to wake up at the crack of dawn to drive there in time. Instead, we had a leisurely morning and left the house around noon. It helped that we didn't have tailgate plans, although in the future, I wouldn't MIND having tailgate plans -- it seems to be a very fun activity for game day and I bet the food involved would be better than stadium pizza. Not to mention having a little adult drink would be nice.
Anyway, we arrived around 2:30, walked through campus toward the stadium, stopping at a couple of tailgates where we had friends. I had to explain to Kate that there's a code of tailgate etiquette, and that we couldn't simply invite ourselves to join these friends, only stop by to say hello. She was disappointed and so am I, frankly, but you have to have manners. We had places to be, anyway: wanted to catch the Dawg Walk with the band, and see Alex as much as we could when he wasn't required elsewhere. He was very sweet to come and find us whenever he had free time. And the band sounded great and so festive, as usual.
The weather was just picture perfect. Sunny but cool/breezy, especially in the shade. The game was exciting -- our guys won -- and we hadn't ever experienced a night game before. It's extra atmosphere, for sure. Worth staying out really late and walking what felt like miles to and from our car.
Afterwards, Alex let us come to dinner with him and several alto-sax buddies including 2 of his roommates. It was simple, not a party or rowdy at all, like you might imagine. These band kids are tired after a full day of being in uniform, and just want some food. ;) I was touched that Alex left the table where he had been sitting to join the three of us instead.
A lot of little moments, in fact - when he texted to say he had some extra time and could come find us again; when he gave us long hugs; at dinner; some of our conversation about his girlfriend - are evidence to me of how he's maturing. I mean, Alex has never been particularly immature, but it's really neat to watch him change ever so slightly. And it's gratifying that he doesn't mind being with us. He might actually even enjoy it. :)
We do get to see him again tonight, since the band is coming to our county to perform for a bunch of high school band kids! Yay!
But this morning, I'm trying to hold onto the big joys from the weekend and face whatever "adventure" lies ahead in my Inbox.
1 comment:
Sounds wonderful! Glad to hear you had such a nice weekend.
Post a Comment