Monday, January 29

Poet


Career Changer

I turned 49

And now, I'm listening

to my

    heart's whispers.

We're supposed to -- women.

Know our souls. Claim our    

   power.

I don't know 

  so much about that.

But I do know

I've always thought it would be

the best job -- poet.

    observe, reflect, write words:

Skills on my resume.

What is stopping me? Nothing.


   I'm a poet, then.

Summary: Creative human, seeking

    position with...

So I'm a poet now.

    This is, in fact, a poem.




-------

P.S. I'm not changing my career (just yet). And I'm not (I don't think) losing my marbles. I actually wrote this last summer, by hand, in a little journal that has some other writing prompts at the tops of pages. I thought it was funny and it's true, I DO think it would be the best job, to be a poet. If only it paid, haha! But the thought came to me again this morning while I drove to my actual job -- of poems, poetry, being a poet. Does anyone even read them anymore? 

You're a poet if you say you are - I don't think there's a certification required. Anymore, you can just start a poetry Instagram account, and there you are. I'm too scared to do that, but I wish I weren't. Maybe I will. Anyway, I wanted to save all of those thoughts here, silly as I feel doing it. Understand: very silly. 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Just lovely. You are a poet.

suzanne day by day said...

Love this!!!!

And yes, I read poems daily! There is so much fantastic poetry in the world. I'm glad you are seeking it out within yourself.