Anyway, what's up?
-- I got an Insta ad the other day for one of those "funny t-shirts" companies. I scrolled through every style, cracking up, but am not really brave enough to buy them. But then I thought, "WHY am I not brave enough?" They're fun! I hardly ever see anyone I know when I go out -- and I rarely go out -- so what am I worried about? I declared to Shawn that I'm planning to have that be my "thing" as an old lady. I'll wear the t-shirts with puns and memes. It's going to be great. The grandkids will think I'm so quirky.
-- We have some plans and projects taking shape. Nearing completion on the transformation of Kate's room from a 9/10 year-old girl's to a 16 year-old's. 2 more pieces of cheap furniture to buy, and several to donate/get rid of. And THEN we will start making half of our guest room into a sitting area/media room. Hopefully both of those things before the last kid leaves home, ha/sob. We got a nice tax refund this year, for the first time in forever, so that makes it easier to buy these few things. Maybe we can finish here soon and I can show you.
-- Still in the thick of club volleyball season, although Kate driving herself to practices sure has lightened my load. (Come to think of it, though, I wonder if that is why I feel so adrift and untethered at the moment? Mommy is not needed (for this) anymore! Hmmm, hmmmm. Very interesting, doctor.) However, we have 5 tournaments left, and not much enthusiasm for those, either. I wish the coach could drum up some team spirit in the girls -- or my girl, specifically. Her heart just isn't quite in it with this team, so she's never excited to practice or compete, and that naturally trickles down to us spectators! (How much did we pay for the privilege, btw?!)
-- Spring Break girls' trip was a success. We even had some laughter during the long road trip. My clothes were fine. No one is looking at the moms' clothes. ;) I really tried to rest my mind and my spirit that week. Was able to finish a good book: I Have Some Questions For You, by Rebecca Makkai. It's like a true crime podcast in novel form.
-- Even while I'm trying to lean into my roles as wife/mom (and care less about my role as Marketing Comm. Specialist), my cooking skills seem to be disappearing. I've had a few total meal-fails in the past 2 weeks. One, because of brown rice. I can never get it tender enough. The other was just a dumb chicken/pasta pantry situation; I tried to "make up" a recipe and I guess I'm not cut out for that. So now I'm doubting myself, as well as being sick of all the usuals. This is a win only for Chick Fil A!
I've been sitting here way too long. Probably should move my body and get some fresh air.
3 comments:
I hear you about not feeling the pull of the blogspace lately. It's hard when that happens, but I am sure it's just like anything: ebb and flow.
Why is brown rice such a jerk?!?! I think I have found a good rhythm with it in our new house. Our microwave is lower powered than the previous one, and when I put brown rice in the rice cooker and cook it for eighteen minutes (GAH), it seems to come out okay. But I remember it was never right at the old house!
Room makeovers are fun!
Hello, my friend. I'm glad you wrote ... nice for me. I cook EVERY NIGHT, and I've had some failures lately ... lots of failures, actually. Nothing TERRIBLE, but just disappointing. Was getting a little concerned. But now I've had several good meals in a row, so all is well. But I also bake bread and it's never as good as it should be. Toasted with butter it isn't bad (of course). Hope your week is good, and hope you keep posting occasionally!
Post a Comment