Friday, May 3

Re-Org

Not a re-org at my office, just in my brain. 

I'm just finding that I really need to SHIFT my mind, and in order to do that, I need to clean things up. So I have re-skimmed my trusty 2007 productivity book, whose lessons are still useful even if the language ("get a PDA or smartphone to help you!") is a bit out of date. I spent the better part of Monday and Tuesday re-working my digital system (in Outlook), creating new Categories, Sub-Categories and Folders, which I hope to use wisely to block time on my calendar and meet my Objectives! Whew!

It's all a bit exhausting at the front-end, but I feel like the situation of my brain being a constant jumble of to-dos and thoughts has got to change in order for me to function better. The next step is a clean sweep of the old Tasks, as well as an attempt to Zero the Inbox. !!

Just this second, I thought, "Maybe I should take my laptop with me to the volleyball tournament this weekend, and delete emails while there?" Of course it would depend on the wi-fi connection in the giant convention hall... but, hmmm, that could be a good use of some time in-between games that is generally ...very wasted time. 

We have also re-org'd Kate's bedroom. It's been... a project. Understandably, she wanted to upgrade from the "little girl" room she had. It has meant all new furniture, which you wouldn't think is necessary, but it was true her dresser drawers did not open very far, did not hold a lot of clothes, and our girl has a LOT of clothes. She chose the new headboard, dresser, nightstand, and vanity (still to be delivered). It's all really pretty, and today, fingers crossed, we will sell the old bed with its heavy bookcase headboard to an acquaintance from church/school. I'm ready to have the guest room back in some kind of order, as well, since that's where we've been dumping everything in the interim.

Anyway, lots happening over here! It's a Friday as I finish this post, but no rest for the weary --  tomorrow we have the "a.m. wave" for Kate's regionals volleyball tournament, which means we have to leave the house by 6:30 probably. But then we finish by about 3:00 pm, and can come home and crash, hopefully. Only to wake up Sunday and do it again. ;) 

It's May, after all! Every mom's favorite month! 

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Very cool on the room update (and life organization)! I cleaned a closet yesterday and I've looked inside it about 500 times because I'm so thrilled. Madison still has her original furniture from when she was a tiny thing! By which I mean a twin bed and a dresser/bookshelf. She's put another dresser in the closet (and turned it where it's impossible to open easily) and added a chair and desk. She could use an update for sure, but now she has just one year left and I'm thinking maybe this furniture is just fine!

suzanne day by day said...

The room update sounds like a great (if intensive) project!

MAY. Oh my. It's quite a month, isn't it?!

Sherry said...

Any book recommendations? I am struggling with what to read next, which seems crazy. Shouldn't book options/suggestions be at my fingertips?!?!

Lee said...

For Mother's Day, I was given the Tom Hanks novel (yes, that Tom Hanks), The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece. I like it a lot so far!

Also read I Have Some Questions For You by Rebecca Makkai recently -- very good. Like watching a movie-length episode of Dateline. And if you haven't read Lessons in Chemistry yet, do read that one! It's great!

Sherry said...

Thank you! Always like your suggestions! I did read Lessons in Chemistry and loved it. Just found two romances and have enjoyed them although I know they are a little silly and they certainly aren't perfect -- The Flatshare and The Wall of Winnepeg and Me. I'm having a Reading-Every-Spare-Moment period -- keeping me sane!

Sherry said...

Eek -- continued reading Wall of Winnepeg last night and it's getting a bit graphic and sillier -- so if you read it, don't judge me! Eek! I read Covenant of Water recently -- maybe I should recommend that instead!

Lee said...

Ha ha! Romance is always a bit of a crapshoot, you never quite know what you're going to get. Still, I like them sometimes too. :)