Shawn read that you should water-in new grass quite a lot, so this morning I am playing in the hose/sprinkler, moving it around to all the different patches. I'm choosing to look at it that way, not "getting wet and muddy after already taking a shower," lol. I actually don't mind. Working from home, no meetings, For The Win. I will have to re-do my hair and change clothes before an 11:15 chiropractor appointment, but that's the only person I'm seeing today aside from the fam. (And she's pretty casual, herself.)
Before all the farming began, though, we ushered Kate off to her first day of Junior year! Yes, school starts very early here. Yes, she's so grown, Junior year is some serious business (she has 2 APs this semester, and 2 next spring). For me, the main thing is it's the first year of her driving herself, wahoo! She could have ridden the bus these last 2 years, and she did, a bit, during the first of those... until she decided it wasn't a good look for her. ;) So I had carpool duty. It made for disjointed work-days. I liked getting a little time with her (when she was nice! haha teenagers) but I'm so glad the driving part for me is done. Glad we could make it happen for her to have a car to drive. Nervous for her in the parking lot at the end of the day -- some of those teens absolutely tear out of their parking spaces, I have witnessed. But hoping she will be extra careful, and have plenty of after-school meetings etc., so she isn't leaving during the mad rush.
Some bulleted thoughts about school this year:
- I agreed to make her lunch today and probably will tomorrow, but after this I'm going to require that she does it sometimes. Girl can't go off to college in a couple years if she can't even demonstrate that she can pack a lunchbox. It is the smallest of things and she can HELP, for the love. (I did kind-of smile putting her lunch together this morning, though. Grapes and a sandwich, just like her first days of Kindergarten, sunrise, sunset, etc!)
- She's planning to carpool with a friend, actually, so she won't be driving every single day, and I'm glad about that, too. We live so close to several of them. But the main reason is they don't want to walk into the building alone. Even if they drive separately, they plan to meet at someone's car before going in. Solidarity, I like it.
- She and that same friend did not make the high school volleyball team. It was a blow, but they got over it quickly. Subsequently, they both also decided not to play club ball next year, nor beach, so that is the end of a little era! I'm not sad about it. Not sad about my pay raise, either, without those club fees! Instead, the two of them have gotten jobs (Smoothie King), and also signed up at Planet Fitness to stay in shape. Heck yeah! I wish I'd been that motivated when I was her age (or ever). Their plan is to go workout after school on certain days, together. I'm proud of them and hope they will enjoy this new life they're creating for themselves.
- She's doing yearbook this year (my heart! one of my THINGS when I was in school!), and her friend group has started a club called Project Dress, where they're collecting prom dresses and somehow going to get them to girls who can't afford to buy their own. It's sustainability along with helping others, and I'm here for it.
Here's to another August - May!
3 comments:
I love so much of this about Kate -- the prom dresses -- awesome! And I actually laughed out loud about the lunchbox and college. I'm a little concerned about Madison -- I do many things for her -- but she will figure it out! We just finished our tour of colleges on Saturday -- it is real! Senior year starts tomorrow!
So far, Sherry, she has made ZERO lunches! Admittedly I'm not enforcing it. I cannot believe it's Madison's SENIOR YEAR. No way no how is she old enough. ;) Also, hoping and assuming you & your people were kept safe during Debby!
I am super late to read and comment, but I LOVE the Project Dress idea! And the job! And the fitness membership! She sounds so together and intentional!
Post a Comment