Monday, February 10

February 2025: 20 Years Blogging!

It feels like a milestone which deserves mention: My blog is 20 years old this month. How the time does fly! Appropriately, I got lost in my archives last week. There was a lot of hard, a lot of angst and complaining -- I definitely did not remember Alex being such a source of frustration at age 4 -- but what I really saw in those memories was that it was a sweet time, a happy life with little kids and work and building a home and a family. Another surprise was to read just how much I LOVED my job, when I first started it! Ha! Thanks, God, for that reminder... I wish it were still true!

Of course reading all of the sweet comments made me miss the blog-world of back then, as we all do. So much support! So many readers! I don't want to dwell on that point, because it's been done, but wow, was it different. Yet another way social media ruined everything.

How are you, friend? Today, here's how I am:

Grateful to have a lot of work-work to do today, since it makes 9 to 5 go faster. 

Content with a WFH schedule of Mondays and Fridays, with mid-week at the office. It's helping me to get into this new rhythm, I think. I mean, who doesn't love a pretend 4-day weekend, every week? (I've taken to calling Mondays and Fridays "pretend" work-days.) My new boss is doing well, and making some good, necessary changes. Not all of them are things I want to be involved with -- more e-commerce, more events-planning -- so it's not the perfect job for me, but I'm doing it, he seems to value my contribution, and... there's nothing else out there that I can see, that I want to do. So my M.O. is "accept what is, do my best, and try not to dwell too much on it."

Branching out a bit by registering for a women's networking event tomorrow night. Ugh, I don't wanna. But I do need to create some sort of new connections, since the existing ones aren't dropping any Great! Job! Opportunities! into my lap. 

Studying and half-attempting another health kick: "a plant-slant diet." I've been reading a book by Dr. Michael Greger. Nutrition is soooo interesting. I think it would be too hard to be an actual vegan, like he is - I could never! But some of the principles in his research are doable. Like, getting a serving of cruciferous vegetables every day. They're not my favorite, but as far as medicines go, they're not that bad I guess. Adding flaxseed to things, just 1 TBSP per day. I don't love it, but again, I can manage it. Eating more beans. I do love beans, this is not difficult for me. So, we'll see. For today, it means I have red beans in the crock-pot, and they'll be yummy over rice later. (Brown rice, boo, but whatever.)

Not planning to come back to blogging with real regularity, I'm afraid, but acknowledging that I have done it, for 20 years. ! I'm happy to have a record of that time, and happy it introduced me to so many good people along the way.  

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow wow wow. Twenty years. That's really shocking. I sure have enjoyed my work breaks, getting to read what you and your family are up to. I believe your blog is the truest thing I read online.

suzanne day by day said...

Twenty years! Congratulations! I love that you found so much to treasure in your archives. That's one of the points of this exercise, right, to capture the good so we can revisit it?