Thursday, October 5

All work and no play?

Last night the husband and I were discussing the State of our Lives as we cleaned up from what we thought was Dinner, but what AJ thought was the Olympic event of Soup-Sloshing. Quite a mess -- which closely paralleled our discussion topic. We were both lamenting yesterday's decision to try to sell our precious little 6-game-Saturday package of hockey tickets. The one we hemmed and hawed about buying in the first place, but finally reasoned that it could be our one Thing -- our REASON to get ourselves out'da'house, since we'd PAID for it and all. (You know, like the gym membership? "If I PAY for it, I'll use it." Cough, cough.) But, after careful babysitter planning gone TO HELL -- I'm talking 3 babysitters renegging for this ONE game -- we just said "Forget it." Not worth the hassle.

People, if my husband is willing to give up on being a season ticket holder for hockey? It. Is. Serious.

So let's just chat about extra-curriculars for a moment, here. I got on the bandwagon early in life, as we all did, knowing we'd have to fill up that college application with plenty of Involvement... so you volunteer, you explore your talents and interests, you participate in things. PLENTY of them, as many a parent of school-age kids can attest. We've passed this habit of extending ourselves onto the next generation. (A topic we don't even need to get into, but one I'm sure you've heard about.)

But when you're a young parent of a baby/toddler/preschooler? It's not so much about YOU anymore. It's about them. As you know, a few weeks ago I decided to quit the church choir -- for lots of reasons, but the main one was that pesky 4-hour-a-week commitment-thing. 2 hours rehearsal, 2 hours prep and Mass on Sunday mornings. Um... well, sometimes I'd rather go on Saturday night. And sometimes? I'd rather sit with my family at church. So no, those four hours, I decided, were mine. I took 'em back.

I've kept 2 things on my calendar: my book club, and my performance choir. I almost think it's too many, but I don't want to lose the precious few girlfriends I have in book club, or my hard-earned sight-singing ability, either. DH does his fantasy football league with some friends. But that's it. No other clubs. No volunteer hours on our books. No committees. And now, no commitment to hockey. We'll buy a pair of tickets once or twice during the season, for date night. But just not a multitude of games. For us and our work/life schedules, this is plenty.

Some parents might disagree. (What? Parents? Disagree with each other? You must be joking!) They might argue that being involved and passionate and active is a good model for the kids. I agree with that, but just... not yet. Not while he's two. (Definitely not if we had more than one under 5!) I know it seems I'm advocating a complete sacrifice of self, like stamping a big "IGNORE" on your own desires and plans.

Yes. I am. And I'm totally cool with that, for now.


P.S. I realize we could just opt to take AJ with us to the hockey games. *chuckles to self, shakes head* Ohhohoho. That is a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"P.S. I realize we could just opt to take AJ with us to the hockey games. *chuckles to self, shakes head* Ohhohoho. That is a good one."


LMAO at that one. You could also pay to stick a pencil in your eye.

Seriously, Im with you all the way. On all of it. You probably already knew that.

Now Iam off to sacrifice myself/my day baking for the boys' teachers. (cuz you know how baking a myriad of goodies is really helpful for the get-back-in-shape program...)

Anonymous said...

Um, a bit scary. Except I've already given up most -- all? -- of my outside-the-home extracurriculars. What will probably go out the window for me -- lots of exercise. And I suppose that's okay. Firm thighs, or a kid to love? Hmmm.