Wednesday, October 11

Driving in the slow lane

My one friend from Alaska visited here a couple of years ago. I picked her up from her hotel and drove to dinner, an activity during which she said, "Can I tell you something honestly? You Atlantans are CRAZY drivers." I'm sure she's right, in comparison to Alaskan drivers. I actually think MOST drivers who are non-elderly have this bad habit: immediately trying to pass when we come up behind someone going the speed limit or less. I usually do this, myself. (I don't think it's necessarily crazy, but it sure is impatient. Indicative of our society's impatience for everything.)

Yesterday, however, I got behind a Geo Prism or some such and could NOT get around her. Too many cars behind me, doing the same thing. So I waited it out. I was feeling especially aware, I guess, and said to myself, "You must be exactly where you're meant to be. Behind this person, going slower than you'd like -- there's a reason for it. There could be a wreck developing up ahead that if I went faster, I'd be involved in." You just never know. (Maybe I had that thought because the night before, Husband had declared, "You were almost widowed today," proceeding to tell me about a semi that ran the red light to Husband's left, at our office's trepidatious intersection. (THANKS for that spectre of an image, dear. Thanks a really lot.) Turns out DH was also aware enough to put on his brakes, and the offending semi flew by without killing anyone. Obviously.)

Anyway, it was a good reminder to know that we're always exactly where we're meant to be, whether we're in the fast lane or stopped in our tracks. I try to keep that in my head but it's not always easy. Like yesterday morning, at one moment in a work meeting where the discussion was all, "action-scripting and betweening for Flash and blah-de-blah database-cakes" and I wanted to GOUGE MY EYES OUT. At least I was meant to be there.

---

Three days into my "diet" -- such a mean and terrible word -- but I'm still doing it! Today's not a workout day, but I decided I could still do the OTHER model diet behaviors, like drinking water. Which I am. I even packed a lunch last night, in preparation for today! Woot! I've felt really good about myself (Group HUG! Self-Esteem Class dismissed!) since I'm managing to stick to it. Last night? I RESISTED dessert after dinner even though I was HONGRY. I had no more calories left to eat, so I was not allowed. Not even an M&M. (Well, okay, six 7 M&Ms. But that's next-to-nothing for cals, so I still RAWK ON.)

---

Heh. I've always wanted to say "blah-de-blah something-cakes." A la amy. Some people talk so cute. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This so called Alaskan in your post better not be me.. :) a soon to be Oklahoman... :)

el-e-e said...

Well, it WAS... but I know you're not Alaskan. I just couldn't figure out an eloquent, concise way to explain it... "well, really, she's NOT Alaskan, she just lives there for now..." It was for the WRITING, Stacie. C'mon, take one for the team. ;)

Gina Wieboldt said...

Well, I am in NJ, and I am so glad that somewhere else people drive crazier than us.. I know what you mean about hubby, mine does a lot of driving for work(sales) and he will always call me right after a "near miss", which I know was completely because he was on his cell phone or checking email on the blackberry thingy!