Wednesday, December 6

The Grandness of Imperfection

Work is kicking my tail end this week. This is probably a good thing. I'm sure I could use a kick or two. Lots on my mind, though.

I'm really enjoying the Advent/Christmas season so far, despite the fact that my first batch of cookies was a bust (don't substitute margarine for butter; it's Christmas for heaven's sake. Just... Butter.)... and despite that I haven't done my cards yet, or even begun to wrap/ship any presents. My house looks pretty with all its decoration -- I love thinking about why we decorate, by the way -- the old custom of decking the halls, preparing our homes for the coming of the Lord is so quiet and forgotten among the Clark-Griswoldness of modern decorating superfluousness (my neighborhood even has a contest) -- but it makes me happy to think about that kind of preparation, and try to focus on welcoming the Christ-child.

In fact, we're welcoming my in-laws, who are definitely coming. (Would be good if I could think about welcoming Jesus in each of them... *trying*) This means two things: 1) We don't have to travel! Hooray! AJ gets to have Santa come down his very own chim-a-nee, and 2) I'm going to stress out about Christmas dinner and have to practice patience when there are more than one of us bumping around MY kitchen using MY new oven. Heh. Let's see... there were Three Wise Men; maybe they all tripped over each other to give THEIR OWN gifts first. But all three gifts were important, yes? They each got a verse in the song. :) Perhaps a good metaphor to keep in mind.

I'll also have to fight the urge to orchestrate Christmas day. The thing is, I want it to be somewhat MY -- MINE and HUBBY'S and AJ'S -- new brand of Christmas, with our traditions and special things. Not just their usual Savannah Christmas moved to within my Atlanta walls. Ya know? My BIL and his girlfriend will be here for instance, and I'm sure that means the events of Christmas morning can't start immediately upon waking with AJ at 6:00am. At least not the "perfect matchy-pajamas Kodak moment all together with everyone," the way I'd like it. BUT. I'm hopeful that I won't let that bother me too much. The imperfection of family is what makes it family, what makes it REAL. So if AJ opens all his presents at 6:00, and then the others wander downstairs at 10:09, so be it. We'll wait and do their presents then. And if Pa-in-law turns on the (gulp) TV -- The Weather Channel like he always does -- then I'll have to just suck it up and change the channel when I get a chance to the Christmas music station. Then we'll all have breakfast (Second Breakfast no doubt, for some of us), and it will be warm and wonderful somehow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on being willing to have several people in your house for a few days. I have to admit, I'm not so good with that. My incredible-looking cherry cheesecake for last night's birthday celebration wasn't the best, either. And I tried really hard to follow the recipe EXACTLY, so I'm not taking the blame!