Wednesday, December 13

An Open Letter to Harry Connick, Jr.


Dear Harry,

You're hot.

Wait, that just popped out accidentally... Let me start again. Dear Harry,

I want to thank you for recording your Christmas CD, "When My Heart Finds Christmas," long ago in 1993. That was back when you had kinda weird hair and before you started wearing your button-down silk shirts half open, but I liked you then anyway. This morning, like turned to love. Real, for-true, I HEART YOU love, and it's based not just on your looks (I swear), but on our mutual appreciation of excellent music.

You see, yesterday after a grump-inducing day at the office, I could not rebound from a very bad mood, for the life of me. Not even my darling son -- whom I know you would love, as he's got a thing for Red Beans & Rice, and the only beignets to ever have touched his lips were authentic Cafe du Monde ones during a New Orleans summer thunderstorm -- not even that perfect, precious boy could make me completely forget my stupid work aggravations last night. I went to bed dreading the wash-rinse-repeat that would become today.

But this morning.... oh, this morning! I thought that "I Pray on Christmas" was my favorite so I tried it first. But after that, I casually clicked my iPod to "Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus," and I. ROCKED. OUT. in the car. All the way to work. Or, maybe I JAZZED OUT. Whatever car-dance style your song is intended for, I adopted it. In fact, I think I was possessed by it. HELLO, RHYTHM! It's really incredible the way you and your band can swing a syncopation. Bomp, bomp, bomp... a-BOMPBOMP. That rousing, happy I-V-I bass line. See? I'm a MUSICIAN, not just a little fan-girl. Man, my stereo was thumping. (I didn't even know Toyota Highlanders could thump.) I repeated it two or maybe even three times. I couldn't stop. Singing at the top of my lungs, sharing the beat with you guys. It turned me around.

So in this season of giving, I want you to know that I GIVE YOU a double thumbs-up. A super high-five. A big wet kiss on the neck. I mean, uhm... a hearty round of applause for your musical talents and your ability to change really bad moods. And maybe lives.

Happy Ho-Ho-Ho to you, too! My heart found Christmas for the day.

XOXOXO...xoxo,
(really.)
el-e-e

No comments: