
Thirteen things I like about my job.
(I never ever talk about the things I DO like, except in qualified terms like, "Well, it isn't SO bad..." So here, I'd like to put a positive spin on it, in an effort to be less of a whiny butt.)
1. All our bills are paid thanks to our combined income. I can generally go to Target and not have to worry that $100 is going to break us. (A cool hundy, just about every time! You too?)
2. We have great insurance, a savings account and two retirement accounts, because we both work.
3. Practicalities aside, I work with excellent people. They're like family to me since I've worked here so long. I remember last year's Thanksgiving potluck (2005); we sat down around our conference table and I just smiled to myself, comforted in sharing a meal with such good souls.
4. They let me work 2 days a week from home. I could choose any number of other jobs that absolutely wouldn't allow for that.
5. Our work is always a collaborative effort. You can say to a coworker, any day of the week, "Could you help me with something?" And they will. I like that; I need the good ideas and talents of my colleagues; wouldn't be able to handle it otherwise.
6. We produce some beautiful printed publications; I've always been very proud of our quality and our reputation for good taste in graphic design.
7. It's impressive that we do what we do with only 23 people on staff.
8. I know that if I really have something on my mind, something painful or difficult in my personal life for instance, I can sit down with one of, let's see... 1...2, at least 5 different close personal friends to talk about it. No one will say, "Listen, I've really got to get this proposal done... could we talk later?" Everyone values actual LIFE more than our work. (I think everyone. wink.)
9. They threw me both a wedding shower and a baby shower at those special times in my life.
10. Our office is clean and new, not old and crusty and rat-infested. (Hey, this wasn't true until a year and a half ago. We previously occupied a very crumbly building alongside some bonafide Filthy Rodents. We made it look good, but... this is much better.)
11. My husband works right next door. Handy when I arrive with a flat tire and need someone to help fix it (this past Tuesday)!
12. I've been doing webinars lately -- demos of some of our products -- and I think I'm fairly good at it. Nice to feel like I've mastered something. :) And they're fun products to demo. I've always said if you believe in your products, it makes everything easier.
13. A coworker introduced me to blogging, acutally. So I have to thank her for that!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens
1. Tink
2. Caylynn
3. Raggedy
4. Di
5. Leah
6. Aimee
7. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
7 comments:
Impressive list, no wonder you like your job. There will always be things to rant about, but it's okay as long as the good things count for more!
Thanks for visiting my TT!
Great list! Sounds like your job has a lot of positives. Working two days a work from home sounds great! I was fortunate that when I had foot surgery I was able to work from home for a week, but I wouldn't be able to do it on a regular basis.
Happy TT. :)
It is good be happy with your work!
Great list!
Have a wonderful Thursday!
My TT is posted
Reminds me of what I miss about work and now can only get from episodes of The Office!
Funny, me and my hubs were just talking about the perks of our job. ..and now i read your list...nice to see a list like this once in awhile. Whining seems to be the trend when it comes to work. I would love to work from home as well. I wonder if I can talk my manager about this...hmmmn...lets see if I can do some bargaining.
I'll take a moment while our email is down (hee, hee) to say that I wholeheartedly agree! Way to go on the positive outlook (wish I had Outlook -- j/k). Mom is often bugging me about needing more friends to get together with, and I've thought lately that my work provides a place to share and be friends. That's pretty nice.
GAH!!! Target always snares me for $70 at the least! I go in for toilet paper and come out with new table linens and cute dishes.
(and I'm the only one shallow enough to comment about Target, I see . . .)
The rest of the list is great, too:)
Happy TT
Post a Comment