Wednesday, May 30

On waking

Honey: I am certain you'll twist the blame to me for this, and I'm likely part of the cause, but I have to say, after spending the whole night with my one little square of comforter: What is the DEAL, man? Covers-hogging has never been your thing. ;)

* * * * * * * * *

For Memorial Day weekend, we visited DH's grandmother in Virginia, and it was the first time since bringing a child into this world that we traveled without the Pack-n-Play. OHMYSWEETHEAVENS, what blessed relief (for Husband) not to have to lug that monster up from the basement, over two state lines, into the guest bedroom, out of its vinyl case, etc. etc. I decided on a whim that AJ is plenty old enough to sleep on a palette on the floor. Husband claimed to never have heard of this "palette" method. He thought I meant a wooden skid. HA! But then again, he didn't have lots of siblings or cousins that he had to share his grandparents with -- we were always eager to spend the night at Granny's with our cousins, because of her floor palettes. (Also her pillows, which were fresh like air and roses and extra-squishy with down.) Even though she had plenty of beds, it seems like we always gathered on the floor of her den, on multiple blankets a la a sleeping bag, without the bag. Anyway, AJ was enamored of the idea and slept quite well the first night.

The second night, he woke up at what I thought was about 5:00 am, so I sleepily pulled him under the covers with DH and me. Turns out either I was wrong and it was more like 2:00 am, or THAT WAS THE LONGEST HOUR & A HALF of my sleeping life. Legs in my ribs. Feet in my back. Arms over my throat. Hello, edge of the mattress? Meet ME in my ENTIRETY. This was a full-size bed, y'all. I love that kid, but I'll tell you honest: I don't want to sleep with him!

* * * * * * * * *

A few weeks ago I said to Mrs. Flinger (avec newborn! so sweet!) that I was ready to tweak our work-daycare arrangement just slightly. This morning, when AJ woke up, he confirmed that we should try that out: he said, "Mama, is it a breakfast day? I wanna go downtairs and eat breakfast." See, typically we've had to leave the house at 7:00 am or before, to get DH to work on time for an 8:00 meeting. AJ has always eaten breakfast at school. But now, DH doesn't have to leave so early. He works 6 miles from home, HALLELUJAH. And especially on days when I work from home, I'm thinking it'd be really nice to have breakfast together, like a regular pre-big-traffic era family. Wouldn't that be nice? :) Tomorrow, I'm thinking Rice Krispies and juice, right in my own kitchen. I mean, the goal is for him to yearn to have his feet "back under Mama's table" after he moves away, right? So we should practice that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your description of Granny's pillows is Perfect! I loved the palette on the floor.

And fun to think about breakfast at home, together! A "breakfast day"...too cute!

Mrs. Flinger said...

Your description of sharing a bed with AJ sounds a LOT like being pregnant. "Legs in ribs..." That right there is a great reason not to do it. ;-)

And your breakfast morning is awesome. These kiddos are pretty good at letting you know what they need if you listen. It's amazing when it works out that way.