Tuesday, May 8

Our Good Fences should probably come down

DH and I joked this weekend that it's a good thing we like each other, because we are so picky about our local friends -- often getting annoyed with them, rarely asking them over, sometimes rolling our eyes when they call... we're awful, small-hearted people. So Saturday we installed our next-door neighbors' rolled-up carpet, 4 ceiling fans, 20 light fixtures, and (gorgeous) bathroom vanity in our free storage facility, otherwise known as the basement. They're investment real-estaters, and one of their properties is in foreclosure, so I guess we're helping out. (I'll admit, I had rude thoughts about it at first, since usually Mrs. Neighbor tells me all about the million-dollar deal she's about to close. Eyeroll.)

Later that day, they called and asked if we had a half-cup of red wine for a recipe they were making. We did, but the bottle wasn't open. Annoying. THEN they came over and rang the doorbell just when we'd sat down to dinner, which wouldn't be a big deal in many households, but in ours, the doorbell sets off the lab-chow (BARK! BARK! I'MGONNAKILLWHOEVERJUSTRANGTHATBELL-BARK), which sets off the child to both scared and thrilled. (Who could it be?? So exciting! MAMA!) They were bringing over a taste of the resulting recipe so we'd know our wine sacrifice was put to good use, and it was delicious. That made me feel guilty for saying, 5 minutes eariler when the phone rang, "If that's the neighbors, do NOT answer it."

I'm a terrible person.

BUT! The Neighbors -- I feel like they need an official title -- never give up on us. Yesterday they called to see if AJ and I wanted to go have dinner with them at T-Mac, the excellent pub/bar around the corner. (I WANT it to be a "pub," but it's really a bar. It does have an international beer list of thousands, so that gives it some character, at least.) Without so much as a Sigh, I smiled and took them up on the offer. We rarely, if ever, go out on a Monday night, and since DH had to go take his drug test for the new job after work, I just decided What the Heck. We met them and their 2 kids, shared some medium-hot, extra-crunchy buffalo wings (YUM), and had the nicest time. We "dined" al fresco. Daughter Neighbor, 6 months older than AJ, had to go to the potty TWICE during our meal, so guess who else decided he did? That's right! AJ pee-peed TWICE on a public potty! His first time doing that! Thank you, Kelsey. I even ordered DH his favorite po-boy to go, which he scarfed down the minute he got home.

It's like we have real friends now or something.

So many people we know really socialize with their neighbors. Almost to the point of what DH and I think is crazy, leaving the doors (gasp) unlocked and just entering willy-nilly without knocking on each other's doors. Like, ...family. The kids play together every day, they spend nights all piled up at one house or the other, they eat meals together more often than not. Even my Mom's parents probably considered their longtime neighbors best friends. So I know it's DONE... it just hasn't really been done by us, yet.

I kind-of like it. If I can keep my eyes from rolling, we'll be good to go.

4 comments:

nicole said...

We don't know any of our neighbors well and have lived here for 4 years! Part of it is that most everyone works and has older kids, so I don't encounter them day-to-day. But, it is also laziness on our part. We aren't trying to get to know them. Maybe we should.

Gina Wieboldt said...

None of our neighbors welcomed us into the area when hubby built the house 7 yrs ago, I invite them over for parties and stuff, but no one ever comes! (they must think we are crackheads with all the yelling and crying going on over here!!)
Still, enjoy it, it will be nice when ya get snowed in to actually have someone else to hang with!!

Mrs. Flinger said...

Oh, that's IT, I'm going to meet my pregnant neighbor (who looks like she's going to pop about the same time I do.. if not sooner.) But, I'm so like you.. "uh, should I answer that? Uh.." BTW: You and I would make GREAT neighbors. It appears we'd both blog about each other. ;-)

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Oh, neighbors...A mixed bag, that. We love ours but we also love our fences.