Wednesday, December 5

Add a Dash of Meaning

I'll admit that I got caught up in a bit of a frenzy right after Thanksgiving, in preparation for the small party we had this past weekend. We decorated the house and have been ordering and buying and wrapping presents... even baked some goodies. We also had a birthday party thrown in there for extra stress good measure, and so the "spirit" of the season so far has basically been one of Hurry Up and Git R Done, as we say here in Georgia.

However, I would really prefer to have an appropriately anticipatory ADVENT. (Say it 3 times fast: GO!) Last year I managed to remember that we "deck the halls" for a reason -- to quietly create a space in our homes and hearts to welcome the King. And this year.... well, we didn't make it to Mass on the first Sunday of Advent (or the last Sunday of Ordinary Time, either) if that's any indication.

It makes me sad when we don't make it to church. But that's another topic for another day.

Onward. Advent. Looking forward. I did let AJ help me set up our nativity scene on the fireplace hearth, and it felt good to share that with him, telling him who these characters are, and what they are doing at the stable. Of course, he wants to put them ALL in the "house," so they don't get wet when it rains. I have to keep telling him that the shepherd with that lamb in his arms can't go in, because that lamb is too loud and will definitely wake up the baby Jesus. And that the 3 wise men are just visiting -- it isn't their house and they didn't wipe their feet, so they need to stay outside and just watch.

It's cute, and he's learning the Christmas story bit by bit.

I'd like to do the following other Adventy, preparatory things this year:

1. Get an Advent wreath. I say this every year and have yet to do it. I like the idea of having one at home and then the kids noticing, hey, there's one at church, too! (This has more impact if we start GOING to church, ahem.) I'm not saying we need to do all the prayers around it or anything that devout; I just kinda feel like it'd be nice to have one. THINGS beget questions, and questions become teaching opportunities. And besides, I like candles and need a centerpiece for the dining room table.

2. Paint or make some ornaments. There's a great how-to here," -- hey, look at that, I'm an "editor!" what fun to collaborate with kara marie! -- but I might not actually BAKE ornaments. I think I have some ceramic ones already in a craft drawer somewhere. It's still a fun activity and maybe AJ can paint some and then decide whom he'd like to give them to. Thus teaching him about the spirit of giving, instead of receiving, see.

3. Hmm. Why don't you help me here. Do you do any Adventy things? A paper chain? A Jesse Tree (OVERACHIEVER)? Even if it's just driving around the neighborhood one evening, looking at all the lights (we're TOTALLY doing that, too). Make our December meaningful. :)

8 comments:

Laura said...

Autom online has a great selection of advent wreaths and stuff (also very cheap!)- http://www.autom.com/category.jsp?path=-1|304477|319377&id=312083

We usually get our candles and wreath from them. Another fun advent type thing that I always looked forward to as a kid was an advent calendar leading up to Christmas- these can be religious or secular, but my mom sent me a great kid-friendly magnetic one for my dorm room that I think your little one would love! I found it online here-
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=18986&netp_id=448417&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details

Hope this helps :-)

el-e-e said...

Ooh, Laura, I like that magnetic calendar! I always see those at Target etc., but they're never quite what I want. This one gets pretty close... thanks.

Tess said...

Chocolate Advent calendar, OBVIOUSLY.

nicole said...

We have an Advent wreath and manage to do a brief prayer with it a few times a week. I bought the wreath and the book at our local Catholic bookstore. It is definitely easy to do and the prayers are short. Get one and do it; it doesn't matter that Advent has already started.

As for the baby Jesus, he is not around yet. We have a little Nativity set we keep in the center of the Advent wreath (really little) but we don't put the baby out. We have a little manger under the tree and the kids get to put "straw" (yellow yarn) in it for doing kind things and making good choices. They are making the bed soft for Jesus! This has really helped our kids remember that Christmas is about Jesus. On Christmas morning they find Jesus in the manger and we read a story from the same book we use for Advent.

We drive around and look at lights several times during the season, whenever the mood strikes. We bake cookies. We read books that are kept in our Christmas box the rest of the year. I especially love Mortimer's Christmas Manger by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman (they are creators of Bear Snores On).

We are attending a St. Nicholas celebration at our church tonight, which is the first time we are really doing anything to celebrate his feast day.

We have a Jesse Tree, but did not do it last year and might not do it this year.

Good luck!

nicole said...

Oh yeah--ornaments. Michaels (craft store) has little sets of 4 wooden ornaments (well, probably not wood, but something like it) that come with markers and glitter glue for 1 dollar! I buy several packages and they entertain the kids with little mess. I started this last year and I hope to do it every year, to watch how their skills develop.

el-e-e said...

great ideas, Nicole, thank you!

Madame Queen said...

These are ALL great ideas. We always say we're going to do an advent wreath, but except for the year that my son turned 2, we haven't had one.

I always used to love Advent calendars so I may get one for next year since it's obviously too late for this one!

Swistle said...

When I was a child we did a paper chain. Each link had a family activity inside: look at photo albums, sing Christmas carols, draw pictures of the manger, etc. Fun!