Monday, June 16

Development & destruction

KT baby is growing by leaps and bounds. Her daycare teacher says, every Tuesday, "She grew over the weekend!" And I believe her! I'm anxious for our 4 month appointment on Friday, to see exactly how much. I'm watching for milestones, especially rolling over, since Owen's already performed in that area, and he is just a couple of weeks older than KT. But Every Baby Develops Differently. :) I think she wants to roll over. When she's on her back, she arches it to reach for something, and knows to draw her knees up so she can inch a little closer to what she wants. Working that abdominal wall, baby.

MY abdominal wall, on the other hand, is more of a fort built with cushions or something. Pfft.

We have SO many adorable outfits for our beach trip next week -- I mean, specifically FOR the beach, as in, they have starfish or seahorses on them, and sundress-like straps instead of sleeves -- that I had to do 2 loads of laundry to prepare, and she's going to have to change clothes thrice a day in order to wear them all. I can't wait to do that much changing. :) Playing dress-up doll WAS always a favorite pastime of mine.

AND speaking of playing, GOOD GRIEF but AJ is playing a lot lately. Imaginative play. And wanting ME to play with him. Have I blogged about this before? I just don't feel very adept at thinking up good guy/bad guy scenarios for us to act out. To be honest, I just don't feel like "acting" at all, really, but it is what it is, and I'm super glad that he HAS an imagination. We're a little concerned that it's always "attacking" and "fighting" and "roaring like a really bad monster" lately, but that is normal for little boys right? Even Thomas and Percy, the loveable choo-choo trains, to fight and destroy each other... that's normal right? Of course we feel guilt for letting him watch maybe a bit too much Spiderman and Batman, with their rather dark themes and adult issues (they BOTH need therapy, really)... but boys this age -- almost 4 -- are GOING to want to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and OMG, Ben 10 Alien Force, right? Our fathers played cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians. Our brothers played Star Wars.

You can see this is something I want your feedback on, RIGHT?

7 comments:

LL said...

Oh, yeah- very normal. I was just sitting here thinking about some of the games my siblings and neighbors and I would play, and wow, they were disturbing! There was vampires where we'd put red lipstick (stolen from my mother's purse) on our necks for bite marks and pirates where we captured people and tied them up and threatened to torture them. And we didn't even watch TV! (There was one tiny TV in my house and it was for golf, football, and news only - although I guess the news could have been where we got some of our ideas...). We were normal kids who grew up to be very normal, non-aggressive adults :) I think that you could restrict all TV, ban all weapon-like toys, and you'd still have some epic battle or crime scene in your living room, it would just be with toilet paper rolls as swords or bread crusts as guns - it's a natural thing for boys (and girls!) to do.

Have a great time at the beach!

Krissy said...

I'm going to chime in with TOTALLY NORMAL, as well.

We don't let Wallace watch too much regular television, so I don't even think that it's tv-insipired. He mostly watches Dora, yet when we piss him off now he will yell, "FSSSS! I PUT YOU ON FIRE!"

His dad and he put each other on fire and hosed each other down for a good half an hour yesterday.

Thomas also beats the crap out of his friends on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure it's just hormones. Babies becoming boys. Who knew the process started so early.

Meanwhile, babies on vacation are a destraction. Please send KT to me immediately. I will be happy to provide outfits.

Madame Queen said...

You cannot stop the testosterone! It is a force unto itself. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. Bubba is now the proud owner of, get this, 6! pretend swords! SIX. And that doesn't even include his light saber collection.

Yeah, it's a boy thing.

Mandy said...

take lots of pictures of KT being "dressed up" !!!!!

and good for AJ and all his boy play - I see nothing wrong -- as long as he isnt playing grande theft auto or something!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Your posts make me picture things!!!! I can not wait for all of this one day

Julie said...

My 2 1/2 year old son plays rough mostly with cars/trains/trucks. There's always some big pile-up happening on his train table.

Anonymous said...

Totally normal. My sister and friends and I played GI Joe and Thundarcats and My Little Pony and all kinds of things. You don't have to be the one to make it up ... you can let AJ take the lead in the play and follow along as best you can.

In other news, I also live in ATL! HOW have I never found your site before!?!