Wednesday, June 18

Some little junk and nonsense (and one sweet story)

- Yesterday, I hated my hair. Hated. It was sitting like a mushroom cap on the top of my stupid head, and there was a lot of stupid gray peeking out through my "natural color" (not), making my part look thin and old woman-like. Also, helmet head. TODAY, however, my hair looks great. Healthy, tamed, styled just the way I like it so it appears casual and yet has some shape. What's with that??

- I had never eaten Lucky Charms until this week. Today I decided that a healthy and enjoyable breakfast might include a serving of Lucky Charms, dry, and my coffee. Because I really HATE having cereal with milk, AND coffee (with milk) in the same meal. It's too much milk. Oh, and Lucky Charms ARE magically delicious!

- I still always THINK about making healthy choices (like limited milk), and about heart disease and high cholesterol and my family history of dread diseases, even while I am eating cake twice a day, and buying things like Pringles. I'm blaming hormones but it's incredibly annoying and makes me feel like a stupid-head, and makes me worry that I'm just going to get fatter and fatter if I can't learn to NOT EAT CRAP.

- This is totally what I meant last week when I took a short blogging break. Man, do I love Mrs. Flinger.

- When are we going to get tomatoes back? I tried growing them last year and it was a sad, sad affair.

- Ways My Husband is a Great Dad, #1: Last Thursday night, I took AJ out on the back porch to watch fireflies. It's one of the sweetest things about summer, to me, because they're so quiet and magical, and because we didn't have them in any of the places where I grew up. The next night, Husband took AJ out to the yard with a jar and they collected fireflies. I never would have done that. Even though I know children DO catch fireflies in jars, AJ was already pajama'd and bathed. And I never collected them as a kid, myself. But Hubby did, at his grandparents'. And he knew it was Something A Boy Needs To Do. AJ kept those 5 lightning bugs in the jar by his bed that night (husband was kind enough to tape it shut for my peace of mind), and was SO excited every time they blinked. He gave them names, and was smart enough to put some leaves in there in case they "got hungry for breakfast." Husband told AJ that we'd have to let them go the next morning. In fact, he used Finding Nemo as an analogy to explain how much they'd miss their moms and dads if we kept them forever! So AJ was happy to oblige the next morning, and we opened the jar and wished them well as they took off, one by one. (Thankfully they were all still able to fly away; I was nervous they might be "taking REALLY long naps.") The whole thing was a sweet summer interlude.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

I have never had lucky charms either - its something about the marshmellow things that throw me off

and good job Mr el-e-e (and thank you firfly gods for the take off the next morning!!!)

LL said...

Aw very cute story, and yes Lucky Charms are magical. I go on kicks every now and then when I must have them - I went through 3 boxes in one week recently. They make a good late night dessert/snack. There's a bit of sweetness but they're actually not bad for you and they fill you up until morning.

Mmmm, I might have to go get some now...

Julie said...

Hair is a fickle mistress. What usually happens to me is that I call in desperation for a haircut because I think I look like I have a q-tip head and then the next day? I LOVE my hair and it looks like/does just want I want it to.

My kids eat all the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms and leave the cereal for me. It's a family affair!

Anonymous said...

I used to love eating Lucky Charms each morning ... and then I had to go off sugar while pregnant and I've never really ever gotten back on a sugar kick.

But yes, they are yummy!

Swistle said...

My hair pulls the same crap. One day I'm thinking I need to stop paying money to have it cut, since it only looks good for one week. The next day I'm thinking it looks great.

I think we get a little media overkill with the nutrition stuff, so it's always buzzing in our minds. I give myself partial credit for knowing I SHOULDN'T eat the half-pan of brownies I'm eating.

We had massive tomato fail last year, too.

Anonymous said...

Great firefly story. Makes me want to have a boy. OMG, did I just say that?

Skiplovey said...

Wish wish wish I lived in firefly country. Sigh. I've only seen them a few times. They are highly featured in my fantasy to move to the south. That and lots of lemonade. No idea why the lemonade.

Madame Queen said...

OMG, that Mrs. Flinger blog expressed EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now. EXACTLY.

amoena usa said...

this is a test.