You know how I'm always complaining about having all kinds of stuff to do and not enough time to do it? Well, I maybe haven't complained here real recently about my to-do list, because I am STILL trying not to make those kinds of lists, but if I WERE to make one, it would look like this, today:
- load of laundry
- iron 2 new blouses I got because I left them in the bag too long and the dryer won't get the wrinkles out, for some reason, GAH
- get professional photos sent to DH's Nanny and Aunt, STAT
- get Pay It Forward prize in the mail, STAT (I think tomorrow, Amber, in case you're reading!)
- buy yet ANOTHER birthday present for another friend of AJ's
- order prints from Snapfish from June and July
- finish labeling photo albums (you can see what slips... photography tasks!)
- help DEAR HUSBAND clean a little bit by dusting, doing bathrooms, and kitchen counters
- sing at Saturday vigil Mass this weekend
- start planning next Disney trip
- oh yeah, My Job...
Something like that! So it doesn't seem that I should be taking on something new, does it? NO, IT DOESN'T if you're a rational and somewhat lazy person like I actually am.
However. Today I have a meeting with the Parish School of Religion (PSR) coordinator because I think I'm volunteering to be a P3 and P4 assistant on Sunday mornings. If they'll take me.
Heh.
I feel like this is a good thing to do for several reasons. First of all, apparently it's time to enroll AJ in PSR! Who knew?! And if I hope to get him there every weekend (SIGH), it would probably be good for me to ALSO be committed to it. Second: My kid likes me, I have to say. And I like being with him, too. Yeah, it'd be good for him to be in a classroom with other adults that aren't me, but he does that already, 5 days a week. I hate to take away our time together on the weekends and replace it with yet more school for him. Third: I would like to know what's going on in the Sunday School class, and just how they teach kids catechism nowadays. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two. Maybe even be spiritually inspired by the little cherubs. (Don't laugh.) And finally, I DO want to get to know some other parents at church/school. It seems like a good idea and provides a non-threatening environment with planned activities, rather than me having to sign us up for a Small Church Community, which is modern Catholic code for "dinner and Bible Study (ack!) with complete strangers."
7 comments:
You're my hero.
"... which is modern Catholic code for "dinner and Bible Study (ack!) with complete strangers."
HAHAHAHAHAHA! SO true! However, people tell me that they make great firends that way, myabe I should get over mysel;f and sign up one day. Yeah, maybe in like ten years?
I taught the 3-class at San Paulo our first year back in P'cola. Ha! Glorified babysitting with a curriculum. It was pretty easy. Oh, and my kids did not do PSR until Kinder - were they supposed to be there? Beacuse, seriously???
Okay, Im feeling very tired, cranky , and snarky today. I will stop here.
P.S. - Dude!! I dont even HAVE photo albums!
You're not crazy. I've volunteered to be a catechist while my older kids are in faith formation. But on Wednesday nights instead of Sunday mornings. We're Sunday evening church people and morning religious ed. just doesn't work for us.
I've not been part of an official SCC, but I have done the family Bible Study thing and loved it.
Okay, feeling snarky and guilty now!
The glorified babysitting thing - the deal was that they did the 3 yr olds DURING Mass...so really the only kids that signed up were the ones whose parents didn't want to take them to Mass. AND, i have issues about this as I think those kids ought to be at Mass. And,i spent the first 15 min of that hour trying to calm down crying children, so you can imagine how much of the "curriculum" I got to each time...which I found disappointing because i put a lot of effort into preparing fun, hands-on experiences to go with the lesson for the day. So take my comments with a grain of salt, more like a boulder of salt, really.
and my issues with the Small church communities..totally my ear of new people...duuh! like you haven't known this about me or years!
okay, guilt moderately assuaged.
AARGH! "fear" not "ear" obviously.
Mb, you are so funny.
I totally know. BOTH of our classes for 4 yrs old and 5 yrs old (which is where I'll be, now that I'm home from the meeting... they didn't have a spot for an ass't in 4-yr-old) are during Masses. Interesting. Either means we'll be at church from 9am 'til 12 noon, or both Sat evening and Sunday morning. I guess this is a good thing...? :)
nicole, I think I would be more prone to Bible study if it was AT the church instead of at someone's home. I don't know, I'm more comfortable when it feels like school, I think. When it's neutral territory. I'm sure that makes me odd and exposes my insecurities! But our parish doesn't seem to have that, currently (an at-church Bible study).
anyway, I'm excited.
Nicole, I don't mean to
not that I should any opinions on anything involving the catholic church since I cant remember the last time I even went to mass - but it does seem weird to me that kids do that instead of mass - if that is what I am reading, my mom was the registrar at our church in Altanta and she was constantly dealing with parents putting their kids in CCD (or whatever its called now) in 2nd grade soley to get First Communion - most of these kids had never been to mass, except to be baptized - its all just weird to me to "use" the church for sacraments or whatever, not that this has ANYTHING to do with this post .. sorry
in any case GOOD FOR YOU, seriously, I wish I had your drive and dedication, truly!!!!
and on top of all of my envy regarding it all --- YOU HAVE PHOTO ALUBUMS???? that are LABELED??
Post a Comment