Poor TLC. Trying so hard to reclaim the audience of us women who used to watch A Baby Story every day.
You know what? Jon & Kate Plus 8 just doesn't do it for me. They seem very nice. But I think they're a little boring. Their commentary, I mean. They just sit on that brown couch and narrate every little incident with the same non-plussed pitch in their voices, and they hardly ever smile. I'm like, "Yeah, no kidding: three-year-olds."
Not that I don't enjoy hearing about other people's kids, or think that since I've been there, done that, it isn't interesting... it's just... I don't think their particular daily story, aside from the fact that they have 8 kids under age 7, is all that compelling. Gimme more wit. A crazy but smart way of handling that many kids. Or at least fun personalities SLASH amazing attitudes about having multiple Multiples. Quirkiness, maybe. (Ahem, Duggars!) Give me something.
OBVIOUSLY I don't have 8 kids and never will. But on the other hand, as far as the TV show goes, it's not that much different from my life. They have trouble getting them dressed. They take the kids to the dentist, and the kids scream. The parents are tired by 3:00 pm at an amusement park. Check, check, annnnd check. Of course, I don't envy them or think I could do it. I actually think their parenting style is kinda similar to mine. I guess that means I would not watch MY life on TV, either. Heh.
Now if they were fishing on the Bering Sea, all 10 of 'em? I'd probably watch that.
13 comments:
at first I LOVED that show now I cant stand it - plus I made the mistake of finding out more info about them which instead of making me more interested turned me off at their "egoness" of it all - more power to 'em for being on TV but you're right boooooring - I wonder how much longer that show will last!!!???
That show is still a novelty to me. I think I like the Asian dad/white mom thing, the kids crack me up and (I know this might sound dumb, but) a lot of times I find myself thinking, if KATE can do this with SIX BABIES I can do it with ONE!
But you're right. Put'em out on crab boats and I'm SO THERE.
Lots of people want me to watch that show. "You have five kids?," they say; "You should really watch Jon and Kate plus Eight!" Like I'll automatically be interested in spending my downtime watching...mass childcare.
J&K+8 annoys me!! I don't know if I can explain why, it just always has.
Now, the other show you allude to - LOVE!
Yeah I keep watching that show waiting for Jon to freak out and start screaming about what a total beesh Kate is.
Probably won't happen but can you imagine the ratings if they went toxic?
Skip- I totally agree - we keep waiting for Jon to go to work and never come back ...
I used to like this show far more then I do now mostly because it seems to be on TLC 24/7. I have to admit I bummed that Baby Story is not on as much and they did away with A Wedding Story. BOOO HISS!
You know, the kid stuff is less interesting to me than HOW EFFING CRAZY KATE IS. I think that's mostly why I watch. Um, sad but true.
If Kate was on the Bering Sea I would DIE OF HAPPINESS.
Really?? I don't think Kate's crazy or a beesh (HA!, skip!) - she should BE SO LUCKY to have that much personality.
I totally agree though, one day Jon needs to flip his lid to make it interesting. They're all entirely too calm.
People also ask me if I watch that show. I think it is totally not fair to them to compare parenting 5children of differnt ages to 8 children of the same age (well, 2 ages). And like you, I find that their life is not always all that different. At first I was turned off by her type-A control freak issues, but I realize she has to have some of that going on to manage daily life. I think it is interesting to people just because they know they will never be in that position.
I can honestly say I've never watched the show. There's enough drama in my house with just two kids running around!
Go see my blog for happiness!
I watch it and we crack up at the kids...they really do say funny things. One reason I watch it (even though, in the earlier episodes when Kate hadn't dialed back on her um, beeshness, bless her heart, she has 8 KIDS!, my husband HATED it because he couldn't stand her) is that it's a happy ray of sunshine after I spend an hour crying over Intervention.
Post a Comment