Wednesday, February 4

Taking a bite outta crime

You may remember some angst, a few months back, about AJ being bullied at school. There's been a small update.

When we had our parent-teacher conference a couple of weeks ago -- DH attended, I couldn't make it due to being employed on the other side of the world -- we were given glowing, spectacular reports. Naturally. ;) The one thing his teachers said they still struggle with is getting AJ to stand up for himself. Which was music to his Daddy's ears, actually, since he's been trying to convince me of that all this time.

I get it. They're right.


Well.


This past week, AJ told me a little story from the back seat of the car.

"Mommy, before you came to get me today, E. told me he was going to bite me."

"Oh, really? That's not very nice. What did you do?"

"I bit him."

"YOU bit HIM? Really? Wow... did you get in trouble?"

"No.... E. did."

"Why.... why did E. get in trouble?"

"Because. After I bit him, I told the teacher."

"You told the teacher you bit him?"

"No. I told the teacher he bit me."

"Wait... AJ? DID he bite you?"

"Yes, after I bit him. I bit him on the tummy [Ed. note: how, exactly?] and he bit me on the shoulder REALLY hard and it HURT."

"And then you told Ms. J.?"

"Yes."

"...Okay then... it sounds like you handled it..."

So, hee hee. I wanted to encourage him for listening to what we've told him, that he needs to stand up for himself, but... well, he didn't exactly start the fight, but he sort-of jumped the gun on defense. :)

Ah, heck. I'm proud of him. This E. character has been a troublemaker from Day One. I'm kinda glad he got taken to task. I was slightly avoiding E.'s father's glance the next morning at drop-off, however.

6 comments:

Skiplovey said...

Man it's a kid bite kid world out there (oh my gosh couldn't help myself).

Good for AJ for sticking up for himself (in a weird pre-emptive way).

StephLove said...

Hmm. Tummy bites. Interesting strategy.

Anonymous said...

I love this. That is hilarious. Good for your boy... can't let the bullies keep on bullying, can we?

Anonymous said...

On a side note from me - I did tell him that although we are proud of him for sticking up for himself, I didn't think that biting was the "right" way. I then told him "if someone grabs your arm to bite it, either A) jerk it out of their hands, or B) punch them in the nose". AJ then replied, "Ok, I'll try that next time." That's my boy.....

Anonymous said...

awesome. good for AJ! He wins.

Julie said...

Maybe this kid will leave AJ alone from now on? He should work on his right hook, though, just in case. :)