Monday, December 7

Small Sacred Moment

I've mentioned before that Christmas tree decorating is never as blissful as I think it should be. This year ours seemed stressful even in the planning, because we decided to do it on a weeknight (last Monday), which of course got pushed to Tuesday because of an unexpected Book Club conflict. Add two parts kids -- one who wants to hang all the ornaments right now right now, and the other who wants to just take them all down -- and it's even messier. I did my part by giving DH The Look, after he griped at AJ to not put all the ornaments on the same branch. I didn't like him adding "Grumpy Daddy" feelings to my tree-trimming. Because I am so perfect, myself, (ahem). (Sorry, DH.) It didn't devolve too badly, and we actually got the ornaments hung in under an hour.

But the perfect moment occurred afterwards, during hot chocolate and cookie-time. Since we were all seated at the table, KT assumed it meant we were about to say the blessing like we do at dinner. "Bess-eeen!" she announced. AJ laughed, and I said, "Well, I guess it would be nice to ask God to bless our Christmas..." I didn't expect us to do it, but AJ quickly put his hands together with a "God, please bless our Christmas," and another giggle.

It seemed small and silly to him, but I found a spot of joy in that request. Yes, please bless our Christmas.

3 comments:

ya-ya ma said...

Lovely!! Makes me all teary!

Anonymous said...

That is so lovely. What a sweet little guy you have!

You're braver than we were - we put all the decorations up with Madeline, and then decorated the tree once she was in bed. Maybe next year... but we were just enjoying one last year of the two of us, coffee, cocoa and Elf. :)

nicole said...

Sweet. As I said on another blog, I love the simplicity children bring for us.