Last night we had a chat about travel. We don't do a lot of it, unless it involves grandparents and kids. We drive to one of their houses, or meet them in Destin or DisneyWorld -- and that has been the extent of our vacationing since 2005. I've been absolutely cool with that. Traveling costs money, and requires taking time off work, and we haven't had a lot of either one to spare.
HOWEVER! Guess what is coming up in 2011? Our tenth anniversary. Here at the office, we've been doing some promos about a cruise, and my friend is going to Sandals in Jamaica next month, and my other friend is taking a honeymoon cruise this Valentine's weekend.
It's still a long way off, but we've always thought we should "do something fancy" for our 10th. We might be willing to try a cruise, although I'm hesitant about the size of the cabins and the motion-sick-inducing ocean. So if not that, it's going to be an all-inclusive somewhere, and I already can't wait. Granted, we beach-it every summer for a week, but not just the two of us. Not where we can lay on the sand and fall asleep, and then swim over to the pool-bar and get another daquiri. And GOOD LORD, SLEEP IN. And have Brunch.
Both Tess and Jess have mentioned having PLANS to look forward to, and I'm very excited to be joining them.
I'm posting it here to force it to come true. Because certain people hold me to the things I post here. For instance, last night DH rolled up his pants legs and GOT INTO THE BATH to wash the kids' hair. And lo, they laughed. Hmph.
10 comments:
Woohoo! Sounds like fun!
I'm strongly considering an all-inclusive something-or-other. Maybe Mexico? I can't wait to hear what you pick!
Even I would like to try one of those all-inclusives.
Do it! We have the same situation going on in our family. In fact, I think ALL of our real vacations revolve around my in-laws saying that they have a beach house rented and that becomes our yearly vacation. Now, they actually bought into a house(get it every 10 wks), so not only are we going on the same TYPE of trip each year, we go to the SAME PLACE. I always swore that I didn't want to do that - take the same beach vacation every year. I wanted to travel to different places, expose the kids, etc. But - here we are. How do you say no to a free (minus travel) beach house, while satisfying the grandparents need for time with the kids (they live 2 1/2 hrs away)?? Plus, the kids are 5 and 1, so we're not quite into the stage where we can go experience cultural activities very well. Anyway, we haven't taken a trip (or even a night) together in FOREVER. So, last May on our tenth anniversary we revisited our honeymoon trip New York City. Just the two of us for 4 days. It was lovely - shows, decent restaurants, drinking without being the DD, just walking the streets holding hands. I should also say that it would have been really easy for us to decide we couldn't really afford it, coudn't take the time off (only ended up needing a couple of work days b/c of weekend), etc. - but I'm so happy I made those reservations and locked us into it. It was nice. DO IT!
Laura
You have a couple of baby sitters available for Your house or our house. Whenever and however long your stay may be. Yo Papa
Dream and dream BIG...frequent flyer miles don't hurt either. Lots of ways to earn other than just flying. Only way we can travel. Earned over 90,000 miles this year alone!
Our 10th anniversary is next year too! I would love to be going to Hawaii, but I'm almost certain it won't be in the budget. But, we might go to Spring Training! For geeky baseball fans like us, that is a good thing.
You should absolutely consider a cruise! The ships are so big that you rarely feel rocking motion unless the seas are really choppy. The rooms are small, but you probably won't be in there as much as you think, and small can be good too. ;-) I think a cruise is the best bang for your vacation buck--the perfect mix of activity and relaxation.
Oh, how fun! Our fifth is this June and I would really love to go away for a few days... even just overnight would be amazing. Plan it, girl! And plan big! You guys deserve it for sure.
I laughed out loud at the thought of your DH in the tub, pants rolled up... Men. Just have to prove points, don't they? :)
Post a Comment