Wednesday, July 21

Day One, Operation Flex-Time, A Success!

Aside from the fact that I stupidly forgot to TURN ON MY ALARM for the Crack-O-Dawn, yesterday's first flex-time day went off without a single hitch. AJ woke me, for some reason, at 5:34, which was only 15 minutes past my intended alarm, so I hurried through showering and getting dressed. Since it was a real "project," I had been excited to prep the night before:
  1. Made sandwiches for lunch, for me and DH;
  2. Cut banana bread for the kids' breakfast;
  3. Put my makeup in a bag to take with me;
  4. Set the coffee pot (with a couple of extra scoops!).
I think the makeup was the key. I don't spend a lot of time on makeup, but taking it out of the morning process sped things up quite a bit, and I put it on when my computer was booting up and no one else was at the office yet, at 6:30 a.m. Total genius if I do say so myself.

My other shining moment was making sure I did NOT log into Facebook, my personal email, or Google Reader during that first hour. I knew that playing online would make me feel cheated, like "Why did I get up this early to do nothing?" So I got some things DONE. It was quite a productive day, work-wise. The extra caffeine hopped me up noticeably, but I was also running around for other reasons so it was fine.

DH said the kids were perfect at home, and they were dressed and ready to go well before we usually are on regular days. Makes me think this is going to work. But no guarantees... it could totally fall apart tomorrow. (You: Especially if you don't set the alarm, smart-box.)

1 comment:

bessie.viola said...

That is so awesome! Love that you had such a productive day with your new schedule, those are the best. It's a great feeling walking out of the building knowing that you're further ahead than the day before, isn't it?

And the makeup-at-desk idea is pure genius. Love it!