Tuesday, August 31

Writers write about a moment in time.

Did I tell you that AJ wants to be a writer when he grows up? I’m unsure what kind of writer, but that’s what he says. I sort-of love it. It’s his first “When I grow up” statement, I think. He never said “Dinosaur” or “Truck driver” or “Superhero” when he was smaller – in fact, he used to just say, “I want to be MYSELF” when we used to ask him. Which is, I think, a perfect prerequisite for his current professional goal, don’t you? Hee hee. We’ll see how this develops. At the moment, he’s writing/drawing a book called “Doctor Doofinsmerts ‘In-Ator Book” [sic and sic].

There’s a poster in his first-grade classroom, telling the rules of writing. All through Kindergarten, the kids kept a journal, and that process continues this year. This year, however, they seem to be given better prompts. I glanced through his journal when I visited the classroom last week. It was awesome. On page one, they were to describe their thoughts/feelings about the first day of school. His last sentence for that entry was “I was happy.” A Mama’s joy to read those words. I pray he’ll stay happy in school.

Aside from writing, however, AJ has other goals: Namely, to be in the Cub Scouts. Oh, ALL the boys are doing it – I think there’s one boy in his class who’s already got an older brother and therefore, a uniform, and that uniform CALLS to the kids. Naturally, I believe it’s one of the most worthy causes out there. It grows good men, IMHO, and I should know as my Dad went from a Tiger Cub to an Eagle Scout, and probably earned every patch in-between. I’m concerned about the time factor, though. We already have a huge commitment in T-ball, and I know that scouting requires time from the parents to complete projects… not to mention camping trips. (Not to mention ANOTHER fundraiser, separate from the school fundraiser. Gah.) AJ also asked me about swimming lessons the other day, which I definitely want him to do (on weekends only, FTLOG).

So begins the time in DH and my lives where we meet every Friday night and say, “So, how was your week?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same time-committment problem with my 1st grader right now. We have football practice 3 days a week, then a game on Saturdays. He came home from school a couple of weeks ago SO EXCITED about cub scouts and I hated to break it to him that it just was not in the cards until after football season. He asks me every couple of days about it. I promised him we'd sign up after the season. But, then there's basketball season next (which we've just considered) and then baseball in the spring... I didn't think our lives would start to revolve around sports this early in his life....

DH said...

Did we speak last night?

Allison said...

You are SUCH a good Mom.

It seems to me that motherhood is often a series of small & large sacrifices: time, money, energy, etc.

I think we never realize until much, much later (if ever) how much our Mothers did for us. A million roses to you for maintaining your humor, sanity, and grace as you grow two beautiful children.

wm said...

I like the goal of being oneself when one grows up!