My darling husband did the shopping Sunday for me, based on this list. I love him so. Getting a break from my weekly Publix, as much as I do love Publix, was a very welcome gift.
Monday: Brinner! Breakfast for Dinner, for those of you who didn't watch Scrubs when it was funny. Pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs. *hallelujah chorus*
Tuesday: chicken nuggets (over salad for me). Corn or green beans on the side.
Wednesday: pizza and salad
Thursday: Chili, mmm. Served with saltines.
Friday: Crock-pot Buffalo Lasagna, courtesy of the Fabulous Stephanie O'Dea. Tried this recipe out a year ago (or more), and it was a hit.
Saturday: Who knows, because KT and I are having Girls' Night! Daddy and AJ will be on their 1st Cub Scout camping trip if all goes as planned, and I predict Beauty and the Beast will be on our TV while they're gone! Perhaps some nail polishing activities will take place. :)
---------
Anyone keep an Advent calendar? I like the idea of the pretty ones from Pottery Barn and C&B, with the little drawers, but what in the world do you put in the drawers, if not candy? I also want a way to make it Advent and not Christimas, i.e., relative to the Church season. I suppose I need to go online but thought I'd ask you smart people first.
--------
I volunteered to sing today at the noon Mass for All Souls' Day. Why did I do that? I don't have time to do that. I mean, I'm perfectly happy to tkae a 1.5-hour lunch, but ...sigh. Department of "Can't Say No."
-------
Another project on my list is to take a whole bunch of clothes to this kids' consignment place nearby. I SO want to do that, but it will involve a full day's worth of organizing and laundering first, I think. Argh. However: They pay cash and I have some CUTE stuff worth selling. These Difficult Economic Times... anyone else do consignment sales?
10 comments:
I like celebrating Advent. Not really sure why - I'm agonist, married to a Catholic and raising Catholic kids, but it seems like a nice pause every evening to remember what the season is about.
We have a Playmobil advent calendar (Christmas in a barn or something - It is not very religious but it is wintery) and I've also heard that lego makes some neat ones.
Every night before our pre-bedtime TV, we light our advent wreath, sing a little song, do a reading out of a book, say the Our Father and then blow out the candles. Since my daughter (first grader) can help light the candles, my son (3 year old) gets first dibs at blowing them out. It takes about 10 minutes each night.
Last year, this book worked really well for us. Getting Ready Christmas by Yolanda Browne. It has a verse , a prayer and an activity for each day. The activities are pretty lame but the verses and prayers are good for young kids.
We sing a song to the tune of Jimmy Crack corn -
Light one candle Advent's here (3X)
Christmas time is near. (clap,clap)
Then add 2 ,3, 4 etc as the weeks progress.
Since you are a singer , you probably can come up with something better/ prettier/ more serious though.
OK - enough sharing. Have a good day. Hope you find something you like for your family.
love your song, Shannon! Hee hee.
my parents used to give us all SORTS of strange little things which seemed awesome as kids. "crystals," (eg polished stones or even those little glass pebbles you use in vases), crayons, rings, stickers... anything wee and presented as a gift seemed to work :)
OK, I'm inspired to try to celebrate the season. I like Shannon's tradition. We have an advent calendar that my Mom made. It has tiny Christmas tree decorations made out of cloth and beads. I love it. Maybe this year M won't destroy it.
We have brinner usually once a week. It's one of few meals that my kids happily eat.
Also, we have an advent calendar from Target that has little square doors to open every day (it's wooden). We usually put a small piece of candy inside, or stickers, or those stick-on earings. Also, they usually need to have their Christmas outfit before Christmas, so sometimes I'll put a little note in the box that says "Go look under the tree (or under your bed, or where ever) for a little surprise". And then their new dress or new shoes will be waiting. Makes the "gift opening" a little more fun, and may as well gift things that they would get anyway.
I was thinking of doing some funny little poems on some days (rolled up on a strip of paper or something). I love the idea of a "clue" about a holiday-themed gift. LOVE.
I LOVE Advent. Now that we're back to Catholicism I can't wait to head to Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland (yes, I'm close to Frankenmuth) to pick out an Advent wreath for nightly lighting.
Now you've got me thinking about Advent calendars, too. I think Madeline is big enough to appreciate it now.
I've never done the consignment thing, mostly because I'm holding off to see if we decide to have another before I part with anything too precious. :) I absolutely would, though, were it not for that. The clothes that didn't mean much to me (stuff she never wore, etc) I donated to a pregnancy crisis center through church.
bessie-vee! I bet Madeline would love the calendar. :) AND she wouldn't have to SHARE it with anyone (yet), which is something I'm concerned about. Do I have to put 2 toys/candies in each drawer? I think yes. Otherwise it will just be an exercise in tantrums. And not very Advent-y.
I need an update on the returning to Catholicism, by the way!
Ooh--ooh--ooh, pick me!
On the Advent Calendar subject, I wrote a book. :) I use the Advent calendar to organize the craziness of the season. Cookies, house decs, Giving Tree, fun stuff--it gets overwhelming, and so my idea is to plan it all out in advance.
Please pardon my shameless plug, but I couldn't resist when I saw that question. Here's a review:
http://homeschoolblogger.com/elcloud/784368/
I'll be posting more review links later today at my blog.
Awesome, Kathleen! Thanks!
Post a Comment