Monday, January 24

Life is an easy pasta dinner

Or, life should be an easy pasta dinner. I know that because I accomplished it last night along with a good start on one of my so-called Resolutions: A friend came over to eat dinner with us!

She did the easy part by suggesting we get together, and it was easier for me to say, "Sure, come up for dinner!" than to consider getting all of us downtown to her condo. But the meal was simple -- sun-dried tomato pasta with chicken, salad, and french bread -- and the company was so easy. She was my roommate before I got married and one of the best people I know. She's great with the kids (a teacher by trade), so when I start to feel awkward about how our lives have taken such different paths and what are we going to talk about now??... she doesn't mind letting the kids chat her up. She even left early, allowing us to get them bathed and in bed on-time. I'm unsure if she was aware of how helpful that was -- she couched it as "I have to get up early tomorrow," but she may just be THAT considerate. Note for any of you single ladies who visit your friends with kids: it's nice to leave early on a Sunday night.

KT has had a cough now for 3-4 weeks. Mostly at night. I'm almost certain that it's nothing, but that 2% unsure is instigating worries about pneumonia and I wouldn't want to let that sit and percolate. So to the Pediatrician we go, this afternoon. They'll say, "Has she had a fever?" No. "Any other symptoms?" No. Well, yes, nasal stuff 2 weeks ago. "Turn on a humidifier and call us if it worsens." But this is what we have to do.

4 comments:

nicole said...

I would go to the doctor too. Better safe than sorry, right? Wish they had a worried mother discount rate though. ;)

bessie.viola said...

I HATE those calls to the doctor. HATE. I want reassurance, and a firm "Oh! That's Coughy McCougheritis! Just use the humidifier and give her popsicles." I hate the "well, try this... and maybe it will get worse, at which point you can call me again so I can continue to be vague about it."

Hope she's feeling better soon!

(And I love that your guest was so considerate. Early bathtime = priceless).

Lee said...

Love it - worried mother discount! YES, sign me up!

(She was diagnosed with the beginnings of a sinus infection and given a prescription, so it wasn't for nothing that we went.)

Anonymous said...

I came here today to check on KT. Glad at least to hear that the visit wasn't for naught.