I wish there were some sort of “carnival” feature on my computer screen that would only begin to play music, throw confetti and laugh uncontrollably when I logged into WORK-related websites or programs. Maybe that would make it less of a slog? I don’t know, I thought that up in 2 seconds after I opened the text window to type this.
Other things I’m bored with: Our Meal Rotation. Typical Mommy-blog topic, ahoy!! Let me tell you my meals this week, and then you can tell me yours. I’m sure we’ve done this before, but here it is, 2011, and I need some new recipes, dudes.
Monday – Picante chicken (baked with Pace Picante, brown sugar, Dijon mustard), Spanish rice w/tomatoes, guacamole/chips or, for the kids, corn on the cob. Ice cream for Dessert Night. (Do you know my kids don’t really consider it dessert unless it’s ice cream?)
Tuesday – Sausage/turkey bacon/cheese quiche (made with $5/dozen farm-fresh eggs, I might add—and aren’t I organic and impressive?), fruit salad, and all kinds of toast (some with Nutella).
Wednesday – I have frozen ravioli and sauce. Will likely cut up some bell peppers with it, and serve steamed broccoli on the side. And garlic toast sticks because pasta without garlic bread is a crime.
Thursday – no idea. Maybe we can go out or order pizza?
Friday – Maybe burgers on the grill?
I try to plan menus and usually do a better job than I did this week. But I’m sick of serving turkey hot dogs (this week is the first in a long time that I’m not PLANNING to fix them). Here are the things my kids refuse to try:
Casseroles of any kind – which rules out a HELLUVA lot of good, easy dinner meals (my DH isn’t a huge fan, either, so it’s a lost cause for me, a casserole LOVER)
Related, anything creamy. Beef stroganoff. Fettucine with cream sauce/alfredo. chicken with any kind of sour cream (delicious) sauce. OUT.
Soups/stews that aren’t “Chicken and Stars.” Heck, they pick out the teeny-tiny stars in Chicken and Stars. They say they like it but the evidence does not support this.
Quesedillas/burritos. AJ will MAYBE eat a tortilla with cheese inside. Maybe. If the planets are aligned. But anything else in there touching the cheese? Forget it.
You see, I have considered Ways to Make Dinnertime Healthy and Interesting, but I’m thwarted at every turn. Bah. I don't know. Maybe I'M the only one who's sick of our rotation (don't respond to that, DH). At least I have my freezer aisle. Fish sticks, meatballs, the dreaded chicken nuggets: I'll see you three next week, I guess. SIGH.
5 comments:
I'll take the reins on dinner next week. You can have a Valentine break......
BAH, I know.
(And HOW MUCH do I love your DH right now? That's a good guy you have there!)
Is anyone opposed to soup? I love doing chili in the crockpot with some bread/rolls or even grilled cheese sandwiches.
Another easy crock pot one that we like is French Dip sandwiches - throw in a roast with some beef broth and onion soup (or fresh onions, if you're inclined) and let that cook all day, then shred and serve on crusty hoagie rolls with provolone (or your preferred cheese).
I also make quesadillas in the crock pot - throw in some chicken and salsa, let it cook all day, shread and stuff your tortillas with chicken/cheese/whatever else and then toss them on the griddle. WIN.
Oh and stuffed shells! Those actually don't take too long and are a win with Madeline.
(We are in a big rut right now too, so I've been trying).
Yep. I've been having the same dinner woes. No casseroles allowed. And nothing creamy or saucy (like I love). I'm glad to read your list. I might add frozen ravioli next week. I should try some Italian dishes besides spaghetti. But my dinners have to be prepared in approximately 15 minutes or I have to deal with a very whiny girl. We do fish/salmon/shrimp at least twice a week, but that means hot dogs or frozen chicken or ham for the girl. At least she will eat the accompanying pasta or rice ... sometimes. I make pork chops and sweet potatoes. The girl will eat the pork chops ... sometimes. I rarely make chicken because I don't like my chicken. Maybe I'll try Picante. Sometimes I'll buy a steak, which the girl almost never eats. I'm thankful for fruit and bread and butter. We also eat Willy's and Mellow Mushroom. And that's about it for our dinners.
Sherry, ravioli went over shockingly well last night. Just dumped a jar of tomato/basil sauce over it (it was Publix brand 4-cheese frozen ravioli). I cut KT's in 4ths. Both kids finished their servings. *JAW DROP*
And ham, yes, my kids do love ham. Thank GOD for ham, actually. ;)
First, I serve what I think Travis and I will like and the kids just have to suffer. I do try to include one thing each night that they will eat, but that is as far as I go regarding pickiness. They are obligated to at least try whatever it is I make. It sounds mean, and sometimes they don't eat much, but I get too bored with the things they will eat. And, surprise, they try something and find they like it after all.
Last night we had smoked sausage (just the Eckrich from the breakfast meat section or whatever) that I browned in a skillet, twice baked potatoes and SteamFresh veggies. Everyone ate just about all of it, even though none of them were excited about the sausage or potatoes initially. It was really easy to prepare too.
Thankfully, my kids love beef stew, homemade chicken noodle soup, chili, taco soup, etc.
I made The Pioneer Woman's stuffed shells a while ago and they were delicious! Some of the kids really liked it, some didn't. Oh well.
We have an electric smoker and it is the best invention ever! So easy to use and my kids love everything we cook in it. Smoked chickens, pulled pork, brisket--all delicious and lots of leftovers.
Pot roast is a hit in our house too. Anything Mexican just about.
I say keep serving food, knowing they won't eat much for now, but eventually they'll eat more. Good luck!
Post a Comment