The next night, we did have a babysitter (scheduled long in advance). We were planning to go downtown to the restaurant where we’d dined the night he proposed. Except… that restaurant is now closed. Hahaha. It’s perfect, actually – the place we met has also since been demolished, the shop where I bought my wedding dress gone, the church where we were married is no longer a church building... why not this place, too!? But our marriage has stood the test of time, my friend pointed out. Anyway, we stayed very close to home, instead. Had a nice dinner out with no one to escort to the potty, and no crayons on the table. Afterwards, we tried going to a movie, but there was nothing we were particularly interested in seeing, so we opted to drive around a bit and then just went home.
Lame? Maybe. Tired? Always, on Fridays. But I think it’s quite special that we can celebrate even the smallest of things – a dinner when we can actually talk, and think, and share a bite of each others’ choices – and have that be good enough.
I’ve been fighting a cold the last 4 days, which has added to my less-than-social desire to do nothing. I have a lot of respect for the creators of DayQuil, seriously. Yesterday after I realized it had been 4 hours and was perfectly legitimate for me to take another dose, my fog lifted SO NOTICEABLY! I mean, it’s pretty amazing that there’s no cure for the common cold but they sure know how to zap the symptoms.
Okay, I owe you people some before and after pictures, because our painting project is just about completed. First, may I just say that it is SO HARD to get a good shot of these rooms! I have no desire for a fancy camera because I don't feel like I could ever learn about F-stops and aperture and all that, but... whimper. I wish I could get my point-n-shoot to PERFORM better. So these are kinda lame. I plan to go back to take pictures during the day sometime soon with natural light. Also, I am NOT FINISHED decorating! Therefore I can only show you the den right now - the kitchen is not yet ready for public eyes. Also-also, I didn't actually TAKE official "before" photos because the state of the house went directly from we-live-here-messy to painting-project-disarray, so my random shot from 2008 will have to suffice.
Here is how the den looked before:

(Tee hee. Funny husband playing with AJ's Hulk Smash! hands.) Floral border and cornflower blue, blech.
And here is after.
Labrador on the bottom, and Hopsack on top, both by Valspar. This is just to the left of where DH is sitting in the above photo.
I don't know - can you tell how much better this is? I hope so. It's much, much better. More to come!
6 comments:
It looks great--very elegant but still homey. I'm glad you got out for your anniversary. We were able to go to a movie and nice dinner for ours and it was perfect. If you have a chance to see a movie anytime soon you should see The Conspirator. It is about the trial of Mary Surrat, the only woman charged in the conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln. I knew nothing about it until I saw the movie and I still don't know what is fact and fiction, but it was well acted. The film quality is weirdly poor though. Anyway, I love that a simple anniversary night out is still special. You have made it. :)
Oh my GOSH! I LOVE the new colors and the chair rail... just lovely. Excellent work! Love it and can't wait to see more!
Your anniversary sounds just about right to me... it's nice just to get out and be alone sometimes, isn't it?
I didn't realize we would notice the chair rail so much more without that wallpaper border! I love it, too, bessie-v!
Last night DH helped finish up the kitchen (by replacing the ugly blue window shade with lovely wide blinds!), so I'm one step closer in that room!
Getting rid of wallpapered boarders is not lame, it's an improvement! It looks amazing! Did you actually remove the boarder or just paint over it?
Ava
It looks fabulous. Way to go on progressing on a huge project. Our almost weekly (more like twice a month) date night always involves a long walk, Chinese food, and a movie on the couch. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Jiu Jitsu, I just meant my photos were sorta lame. :) I agree it's a giant improvement! We were lucky, the border was glued over paint, and it came of really easily.
In the kitchen, which you'll see later, we did paint over wallpaper. It turned out better than we expected!
Sherry, I was DUMB to take on this side project. Just an FYI you did the right thing! And your date night does sound lovely! A walk!! How awesome. We should totally do that for a DATE!! :)
Post a Comment