Wednesday, December 28

First a snotty comment, and then a Christmas recap

Dudes: There is a woman in my office wearing a JINGLE BELL NECKLACE and jingling her way around the halls this week. It is driving me absolutely BATTY. The fact that I'm IN the office this week is bad enough (never mind that I had all of last week off) -- well, the fact that OTHER PEOPLE are here, too -- I was hoping, at least, for silence and productive work-time. I am not getting the silence part of the deal. !!!ARRRGH. Jingle jingle jingle!!!  

-------
Whoosh, and it's over. That's the main reason I wish the commercial world didn't spend so much time, starting the very moment the Thanksgiving turkey is packed in its Ziploc bags, counting down until Christmas. It's definitely out of balance with the ONE DAY that is Christmas, itself.

Don't get me wrong, Christmas Day was wonderful. And... well, back up: December 23rd was lovely before that. First, Mom, KT and I shopped for one additional set of gifts, just us girls out on the town looking at cheap jewelry. What fun! We met the boys for lunch that day at my favorite Mexican place which could only have been better with margaritas -- but I didn't want to get too sleepy/useless before 1:00 pm! That night we celebrated with a nice, lonnnnng dinner party at my cousin's home. Plenty of wine, good stories, good music, Brie and crackers (what could be better than that??) and lots of little 2nd cousins running around in the basement, playing happily together. THAT felt like Christmas. Don't you just crave holiday time spent with family like that? Even if it's a hassle, or lasts a little too far into the night. It's just part of the holiday and if we don't have it, I don't feel quite right.

December 24th we made our dressing to get ahead for Christmas Day dinner, and baked some more cookies, as we had somehow run out already! (How, I wonder...?) I can't remember the other details -- except I did take a NAP, in my BED (heaven!) -- but I know by 9:00 p.m. we were watching Christmas Vacation (the kids, too), and I was getting dressed to go to Midmight Mass and the choral extravaganzaaaa! Just kidding. It wasn't extravagant. The choral prelude to Midnight Mass was good... I do hope we moved someone's heart who might have been looking for a little spiritual, musical uplift. We didn't have to sing any schlock like we did last year (choral version of an Amy Grant song, gag, and I love A.G., just not like that), so I was pleased. By the end of the night... er, morning... I had nearly lost my voice, which might indicate to you that I sing incorrectly on my chords, rather than in the focal place in my head... but that is not true. And by the way, why is it that I always seem to get sick on Christmas Eve?? I am so over that and may tell Santa next year that is my one and only wish.

Anyway, FINALLY, let me tell you about Christmas Day being wonderful: We were awoken with the PERFECT excited whispering of a 3-year-old: "MOMMY! WAKE UP!! SANTA CAME!!!" I hope I never forget it. She had an exclamation point in her throat! The kids were so good and patient, waiting for all of us SLOW adults to get our pants on and go to the potty before stumbling down the stairs together. They loved their gifts. We unwrapped in a frenzy. We got the big garbage bag out to keep the mess to a minimum. We had ham and egg casserole and apple muffins for breakfast. Then we went to a not-crowded 10:45 am Mass together, I really DID lose my voice before the last hymn, and we spent the rest of the day putting together the perfect meal, in perfectly timed choreography (somehow!) -- and I just loved it all, even the hand-washing and drying of the Lenox Holiday plates afterwards.

(Here's what we ate: Cajun-fried turkey, sausage dressing, cranberry jelly, sweet potato casserole, these biscuits from Pinterest!, and steamed broccoli with red peppers. We had White Zin to drink and the kids had applesauce on the side because I wanted to be sure they ate something. (Darn kids don't even like sweet potato casserole w/marshmallows?!) For dessert a couple of hours later, we had Cherries Jubiliee over coffee ice cream... or just ice cream for those who don't DO cherries. I also had two STRONG hot toddies that my Dad made me, and they CURED my throat, by golly! I love hearing other people's holiday menus - what did you have?)

We have played and played. So far the favorites have been AJ's Lego sets and Megazords, KT's Lite Brite, and her new Rapunzel dolls and Barbie clothes. She and I have spent lots of time doing fashion shows, spread out on the new sleeping bag in the living room, changing Barbies' clothes and combing and combing and combing Rapunzel's hair.

6 comments:

nicole said...

Oh, Lee, this just smacks of happy holiday time. So glad it was so magical.

We had smoked turkey, smoked ham, roasted sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and rolls for Christmas dinner. Oh, and a fancy salad with nuts and pears and stuff. It was at T's aunt's house. Travis cooked the turkey and ham. It was all yummy, although I am really all about the stuffing and rolls and potatoes.

Sorry about the jingle bell--aren't we all a little too old to do that now?

Lee said...

Oh my goodness, a fancy salad with nuts and pears sounds DIVINE. I did want to do one (with walnuts/apples), but it would have added a lot of work so I skipped it.

:)

Tess said...

We were out at Tosc's parents lake house for the weekend, and we had ham on Friday, prime rib on Saturday, and turkey on Sunday. Plenty of great food. I like holiday menus too!

Lee said...

Prime rib. Mmmm! There is not enough prime rib in my life, I don't think.

Sherry said...

Sounds perfect! I also had a perfect Christmas, and I'm suffering from the why-am-I-at-work blues, even though I was off for 6 glorious days. I was very sick at Christmas, but still thoroughly enjoyed it, and was so relaxed. M had been sick too, so there was no HUGE Santa excitement, but she was still happy and played, played, played. We had pork loin and sausage, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, homemade bread, and ambrosia -- for the Christmas Day meal with D's family. But I had Mom's fabulous cooking for the day-after-Christmas family gatheribng.

Lee said...

Sherry, I know those blues! I hate them!

Hope you and M are feeling better.

I haven't heard about ambrosia in a lonnnnng time. :) Bet it was pretty.