We now have only 4 weeks left until school starts again (in the 5th week) and I'm having a hard time believing it. I'm very happy this summer that my kids have had a vacation, well and truly: We all went to the beach for a week, and then they stayed with my parents -- and effectively, with their gaggle of 2nd cousins who live across the street from my parents -- for another 7 days. They came home yesterday full of happy memories of fishing, a science museum, a Cajun pig roast and backyard fireworks on the Fourth of July, swimming lessons (AJ learned to go underwater! Hallelujah!!), swimming with cousins, lots of hide-n-seek variations on rainy days, movies, and, oh yes, dessert. every. night. (KT reported this item emphatically.)
These kids are so blessed. I mean, making memories and developing real, solid family relationships all while having fun away from Mom and Dad's everyday rules? Lucky ducks!
I was thinking about our week without them, and how it compares to my childhood. DH and I did a lot of things that we can't do when they're here -- met to do some shopping after work one night, and had dinner, out, later than 6pm! Went to the movies on a weeknight. (Actually went to 2 movies during the week, to take full advantage of no babysitting fees.) SLEPT IN. Didn't even HAVE dinner one night, because we'd had a huge lunch. Skipped July 4th entirely. Spent a whole day off to do a house project to completion (trim/baseboards).
My parents, I guess, sent us to my Granny's house (or my aunt/uncle's house) on occasion to spend the night, and enjoyed these types of perks. We can't quite do it on a one-day basis, since we choose to live out of town, so we get it all in during this one week. I have fond memories of pallets on the floor at Granny's house, and waking up to a dewy morning on the farm, and my kids have memories of having their own room at Grandmommy's for a week, and swimmy mornings in her pool. So, see? It compares.
I know my Mom and Dad are feeling pretty empty right now with the kids back here. Their day will be reeeeally quiet in comparison to last Monday. But I bet they're worn out, too, and they certainly deserve a rest day. I was wondering if it's more fun, or more exhausting for them, remembering in a LIVE way what it's like to have small kids in the house. I know they'd say "fun," but I also know how tiring these kids can be! They wore me out just in the one afternoon of having them back!
But I am SO glad to have them back.
1 comment:
Don't forget - we can still look forward to them being at my parents for a week! yippeee
Post a Comment