Right now, with KT and AJ at the same school, this is what it looks like:
Mornings: Easier
It might be due to my nighttime prep of the lunchboxes (see below), because I'm so far being very consistent about that. But the "morning rush" isn't so rushed anymore. This week I'm trying to get the kids to eat a better breakfast, so I'm giving them a daily "menu:" instead of offering everything I have in the pantry, they get to choose from two options. They had gotten into the habit of eating nearly the same thing every morning, and with AJ's trying to gain weight, I wasn't arguing -- if he wanted Sausage and Pancake on a stick every day, fine with me. But I do think I need to curb that a bit, and get some variety in there. Anyway, breakfast, then getting dressed -- and we're (KT) not fighting so much about the new uniform as we did about the old one, praise God -- and then vitamins, coffee, and out the door.
(Early days I still get up at 5:00 and get myself ready so I can get them breakfast and then leave by 6:15, to get to work 6:30. I've been good about going to bed at 10 so it hasn't been too painful!)
Of course I can say all this because we decided, now that they're at the same school, that DH would drop off and I would pick up, every day. So of course I think morning is easy! But I don't think he feels rushed, necessarily, except one Tuesday last week when he was. They get to school around 7:20, I'm guessing, and wait for morning carpool which starts 7:35. I actually think it's good time together with Daddy. Sometimes the kids bicker in the back seat but other times, they don't. They have their lap-desks in his car now and they either read or draw or pretend (I think).
Afternoons: Good so far
On M, W, F, I pick them up right around 4:45 from our school's aftercare program. I just love the aftercare teacher, and I can tell KT likes her, too. One bonus is that she has a classmate who is also in aftercare and they've become buddies. Yesterday before leaving, KT reached her arms to Cassie (we'll call her) and said, "Hugs!" So cute.
On T, Th, I race out of my office at 3:15, which is when carpool begins, and pray at every traffic light that I'll get there before it's over. So far, so good. This is the only part I hate about those afternoons -- that drive. Work hasn't been snippy about my early days so far this school-year, but I still have leftover angst about it. They allow me flextime but I know they don't really like it. Oh well, too bad. We go home, have a snack, change clothes, and most days go to AJ's jiu jitsu class.(KT's ballet is only on Friday nights/Saturday mornings so it isn't an afternoon factor.)
Evenings:Yep yep
Still having to help KT with her bath. When she starts taking a shower by herself, we will be golden. She's doing much better about bedtime. Kindergarten is tiring! The last few nights, we've read one story, then I turn the light off and sit with her for 1 song, and then she's okay with me leaving, as long as I say, "I'll see you in 5, if you don't fall asleep," and "Good Night, I love you, Sweet Dreams." AJ isn't back to his reading habit yet, but I think it will start up again soon. (I want him to want to read for 15-30 minutes in bed.) He'll have lots of books to read for school here, shortly.
Then I go downstairs and make lunches, watch a little TV, do laundry with DH.
It's working like a well-oiled machine, dear Diary. Please don't let me have just jinxed it by writing that. Watch, today I won't make it to carpool....
1 comment:
Today -- first day of school! So far, it's much easier than last year. I think 6 is just easier than 5. And it's possible that I'm getting more relaxed. Or maybe it's just that it's only the first day and I need to see how everything is going in a week. But it's nice to feel as if all is okay, for a while!
Post a Comment