Wednesday, August 28

Yellow!

We knew it wouldn't take too long for little miss KT to move her clip from Green to Yellow at school. All you parents know what that means. Bless her heart. She's done exceptionally well these first 13 days of her Kindergarten career, even getting to go to the Treasure Box for good behavior on Monday. We have long known, though, that she is a little bit spunky and sometimes doesn't know when to tone the personality down and behave. And she has a giggled-about reputation at the old daycare for generally considering herself in-charge, in the classroom.

Actually, her offense wasn't what I imagined -- she was cited yesterday for "running down the slide." Unsafe, sure. A lesson I'm glad they want to teach her because she frequently runs down the hill on our driveway in her flip-flops and makes me cringe for her potential bloodied knees. All the same, not something for which I'm going to punish her further.

So yesterday I picked the kids up in carpool. As usual, AJ was All Words, telling me what his class is  working on in, umm, science I think it was (sometimes I tune it out). KT patiently waited her turn and I asked her a few questions about whom she played with at recess, and how the SuperKid of the day was doing. She was quiet, the norm after these long Kindergarten days. Sometimes she still falls asleep in the car during our 20-minute drive home. (It's a shame traffic is so heavy at 3:30-4:00 on weekdays - we drive less than 7 miles through residential neighborhoods but we pass 2 different schools, and there's a hospital next door to our school, so I think shift-change and the other schools make it ugly.) I should have known something was up, though, when she hid her green folder from me, and told me to look at it after she went to bed. "Did you stay on green today?" I asked her, and she told me "Yes." *raised eyebrows* But we had dinner to attend to, and a Cub Scout meeting, and an evening walk for KT and me, and then bathtime and her new library book (Amelia Bedelia).

When I mentioned and had to sign the note that I found this morning, hidden in her folder, she left the kitchen table, embarrassed.

School, 1, KT, 0. Let's hope she gets it. I may have to address the outright lie at some point. Eek.

Big-Kid School, man. They really do learn things!



No comments: