I need to get more of them. A brilliant idea occurred to me, and was just successful (lunch), and I don't want to forget it for next time.
I had several half-used bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer. Mixed (carrots, peas, corn) and the Seasoning Mix (onions, green peppers, red peppers), mostly. I love casserole-type dishes for lunch, instead of boring sandwiches. So I put about a cup of the veggies into a Tupperware, added 1/2 c. of black beans, and brought one of those Ready-to-Serve Minute Rice Brown Rice cups in my bag. At lunchtime I heated both the rice and vegetables, topped it with S&P and a little green chile pepper Tabasco (my fave).
So yummy and so virtuous. Whole grain! Vegetables! I want this type of thing to be my go-to lunch instead of Lean Pockets. I could do chicken, low-sodium soy, and broccoli/cauliflower. Smoked turkey sausage, vegetables, and a little BBQ sauce, perhaps. Time to eat more real food and less processed stuff (even though I love a Lean Pocket now and again)! And less deli meat. I am really tired of deli meat sandwiches, plus, I always want chips to go with them.
P.S. I do love PB&J. One day 2 weeks ago when I was making Alex a PB&J for lunch, I made myself one, too. Delish. Funny how you forget. One of my long-ago co-workers used to bring PB&J every day for his lunch, when he was in a financially difficult time. I almost decided then and there to do the same thing, not for financial reasons but for bored-with-my-usual reasons. Almost.
P.S.S. Tomorrow's lunch will be a leftover fajita that I froze last week -- so, green peppers and onions in a whole wheat tortilla, w/chicken. Wholesome again! Win!
No comments:
Post a Comment