Tuesday, March 4

Sleeping 7 hours a night, week 1, and REAL estate update

The sleep experiment went well... I think.

I was taking notes the first few days but that went by the wayside because at the same time I decided to do this, we amped up the house sale prep. I know, I know, it's all I've been talking about for a YEAR, probably. I'm super sick of talking about it. But... it's finally here, so let's diverge from the sleep thing for a moment.

We have a lock-box on our front porch. (I didn't realize realtors just keep a stash of those in their cars. Ours just opened her trunk on Sunday and stuck our key in there, ta-da!) Today -- this minute, in fact, as I type, the realtor and her photographer are headed to our house to take interior photos that will be uploaded to the MLS. OMG! WTF?! I am not succeeding in the avoidance of "being a nervous wreck."

Yesterday we had the carpets steam-cleaned. It's worth grossing you out to tell you that Kate puked on Sunday night around 10:30 pm and did not make it to a receptacle -- after drinking red fruit punch with her dinner. RED. The stain didn't come all the way clean, even after ZeroRez worked on it -- they warned me that stomach acid was sometimes not save-able, and it wasn't. But I took it as a little gift from God that she did it Sunday night, and not Monday night AFTER the scheduled carpet cleaning.

I took the day at home with her (24-hour rule don'tcha know) as another generous gift, and I went ahead and did some "homecaring" even though I was laptopped and supposed to be work-working. My manager, when I emailed to tell her of the sick day, said, "No worries - hope Kate feels better - just tell HR of any PTO (personal time off) you accumulate." And I thought, yes, you know what? I don't need to sit at the kitchen table all day, I have shit to DO. So I took a half-day. GIFT. Just Windexing mirrors and wiping down toilets, but you know, it made a difference.

Last night after the carpets were mostly dried I wandered around fixing every little detail I could think of. I went digging in our basement and found a glass hurricane and a white pillar candle that, with the help of a random silvery napkin tucked around the bottom, miraculously pulled our master bath together. Haha! We have DECOR! I was feeling a little worried there towards 9 pm that things weren't Decorated enough. Some of the homes we've seen have had nothing BUT big decor. These people spend a lot of time and money at Kirkland's, it seems. Me, not so much, but last night, all my existing pretty things, ahoy. I quick-prayed to ask God to help me find do-dads and knick-knacks that I'd hidden away over the years.

Then I stashed the toaster. Fluffed the drapes. Removed my jewelery. Boxed everything I could lay hands on. This morning after the kids left, more of the same, didn't care about getting to work late (and I WAS late).

The selling of a house is no joke, you guys. I had no idea.

I guess it's good I've been getting more than 6 hours of sleep each night or I would be beside myself. That's my basic sleep report. I haven't been on the scale (I just know the sleep thing is going to take 10 pounds right off immediately, LOL) because it's neatly stored at the moment, where no one can see it. I haven't been exercising because at lunch breaks I've been buying fresh (cheap) throw pillows at TJ Maxx. I haven't been sitting on the couch so I don't know if I've been sleepier or less sleepy (although I did manage to stay awake until Midnight this past Saturday so we could watch Gravity). That's a pretty good indication. But I know it's better for me to sleep more. Onward, with week two! Amen and hallelujah.


I hope to show you today's photos soon. Here's the exterior (from last August):
Front, obvs.

Backyard

Side yard



The paperwork is being finished later today/tomorrow, the photos will be back at the same time, the decks are being stained and exterior trim painted Thursday/Friday, and we are GO for LAUNCH. Say a prayer!

P.S. Realtor just called and said inside looks "perfect." Thank God! Eeee!

1 comment:

ya-ya ma said...

Love the comment from the realtor! Awww. Every time I visit you, I am impressed by all the special touches -- Decor!! You have a knack for it. Exciting times!