Monday, April 14

Half caffeinated this morning

It's the Monday after an at-home Spring Break, so you can imagine exactly how the kids and I all feel today. (Well, except Alex, who had a field trip. Lucky duck) I've combed through my work emails once or twice, and had one catch-up meeting already -- all without coffee, which I didn't want this morning. I bought cheap Folgers coffee last week in a fit of "we are running out of money" related to the house sale and subsequent purchase... and it's awful. I didn't think I had become such a coffee snob but it turns out I have. If I don't even want ANY coffee you know it's bad. I brought a big glass of ICED TEA from home this morning, a complete sacrilege.

I'm considering Office Coffee for a mid-morning perk-up.

Anyway, work today is going to be horrible, obviously, after a delightfully lazy week. The only thing I had on my agenda, really, was Find us A House. I woke up when the birdies got so loud I couldn't stand it anymore (around 7:30 most days), took showers only when I had to, did yoga in front of my south-facing window every single morning while the kids watched Disney Channel, and barely did a chore. Oh, and we did find a house. (Were you here just for the update?? Hee.)

We looked at quite a few -- the poor kids (mine and the agent's), being dragged around town all week -- and last Wednesday we put an offer on the prettiest house we've seen. That much is true. It is move-in ready, all updated, and very open, bright, and pretty. It's not Edenberry. We're both still crushed over the loss of that one, and we can't deny it. But it's lovely, LOVELY.

4 BR, 3.5 BA, built in 2000, granite kitchen (and bathrooms!), hardwoods downstairs, a rocking-chair front porch, and a big, flat backyard. There's a small office off the master bedroom. Walk-in closets. The only thing we're not getting is a basement/media room, which wasn't one of our original requirements but we came to think of as something we'd like. No matter; we're both somewhat glad of the reason to pare down and simplify, and try to keep it that way. I take it back, there's one other thing it doesn't have: a Swim/Tennis subdivision. However, the next-door neighbor has a pool (score!) and if we get really determined, I've already inquired about the nearby country club, and it's only $40 a month to swim over there. When we thought about it, we realized we only really swam 4-5 times each of the last 2 summers, in our current neighborhood pool. With rainy days and working full-time, it's just not something we're able to spend the whole summer doing -- not like when I was a kid and we swam nearly every day in summer. We (the kids) swim a lot during our annual time in Florida, and at camps, and we'll make it work.

It's slightly farther northwest than our current location, which panicked me late in the night Thursday after we'd already made an offer and nearly signed on the dotted line, but the good thing about this is, it's a better high school district, and full of families. My agent assured me we will love the community up there, including youth activities for our kids based at the H.S., which sounds promising. Lots of people live up there and it's just as "suburbia" as we're used to, with Super Target (upgrade!) and a Publix on either end of our main road. We predict it will add about 10 minutes to commute times, but those still won't involve the interstates which most metro Atlantans can't say.

We got it for an excellent price, exactly what we were comfortable spending.

We are waiting on paperwork now. I'm freaked out about packing/moving/logistics at the moment, because both closings take place on the same day. How to schedule the truck? I have no idea.

Will keep you posted.


2 comments:

bessie.viola said...

Oh HOOORAY for you guys!!! I know that there is still a big mess of logistics ahead, but I'm so excited that you found your landing place and can't wait to see pictures. I hope everything from here out goes really smoothly for you.

I can't wait to see pictures of the new place - it sounds beautiful!

Sherry said...

It sounds GREAT! Yay! Yes, pictures would be good! Yay!