Wednesday, September 3

September begins

It is no longer August, and this is a very good thing. August is my bugaboo. Deep in the heat of the southern summer, it drains all my energy. Or rather, seems to tamp it down into the very core of me, so that I feel suffocated and bothered by many things, like work and food and bad habits, and unable to think of anything else.

So, I'm relieved and happy for September 1. And I have new things to enjoy:
  1. A new iPhone! I upgraded to the lowly 5S, which shall be obsolete and so-last-year by next week, when the 6 is released. I'm sure Shawn cringed to watch me NOT buy the 6, but my 4S was being a fuddy-duddy and wanted to be relieved of its daily duties. My new phone is shiny and white and that's one (really dumb) weight lifted off me. I can trust that I can download all the apps now that I have iOS7.
  2. A new person at work. I've only met her twice via Skype (she sits in the UK), and she was very deer-in-the-headlights (welcome to A****na!), but maybe with this addition to my team, some of the 9-5 drama will be relieved. I'm hopeful.
  3. A paid-for membership to Weight Watchers online. Sigh. It's time to put some money where my mouth is, and what an excellent metaphor that is. $56 for 3 months of mouth discipline, and I've already told a real-life friend so she and I can be buddies and keep each other accountable. On my own, I can buy all the right foods and TELL myself I'm going to eat them, in the right portions, but then we order pizza and 2 (okay, 3) slices later, I'm stupid-full again and I might as well eat ice cream with the kids, too. I'm looking at this with "when I was 40, I got healthy" eyes. Forty is a good reason. The first 5-pound loss is going to be rewarded with a new pair of shoes. I wouldn't say I'm excited about it, new shiny apps notwithstanding. It's a pain to track everything. But success will feel sweet and I can manage a little discomfort. I like most vegetables, after all. I can be mindful and not just eat whatever. I can give up the 13th through the 50th tortilla chips, and just have 12 instead.

No comments: