Thursday, October 2

Email Eliz. and other random things

I left a note in my work To-Do notebook last Friday afternoon: "Email Eliz." -- with the check-box-shaped bullet point I use to indicate tasks.

Monday, and still today, I have no idea who "Eliz." is, or what she needs from me in an email. I really don't. There is no Elizabeth in my immediate circle, and no one I can think of in my work circle. Mystery!

The mind is strange, I tell you, and getting older is even stranger.

* * * * *

We had a delightful weekend, with Mom and Dad arriving Friday afternoon to celebrate Mom's birthday. They are so good and generous to drive up here for us. They think it's a gift to themselves, to come see their grandkids, but it's really a gift to Shawn and me. I truly, truly wish we had more time to drive to THEIR house for regular visits, but we have to just be, and accept what is. So we can't go there as often as we would like. That is the reality, and it's okay. So I'm just grateful that in their retirement, they don't mind a weekend road trip or four, per year. :) We talked about Thanksgiving, and I think we'll go to Pensacola then, so I'm happy about that. It will be a luxurious three-and-a-half days there, something so precious and rare.

We celebrated with a new (to them) Mexican restaurant and a very lime-y guacamole on Friday night.... and crashing on the couch later.... then with a lazy, gray Saturday (well, lazy after doing a quick volunteer job at school, and excluding Shawn, who had busy Cub Scout duty).... a Cajun dinner out with Uncle Jim and loud music and so much fooooooood..... and crashing on the couch later..... and then Sunday Mass with a Mozart solo I was proud of, and happy to be able to share with my Most Importants.... and some shopping, just the girls. Shopping is fun and I don't do it often enough. We didn't even venture into any grown-up ladies' stores, only Gymboree, since Kate was determined to have a new outfit by the end of the outing. We did have fun in the Yankee Candle store, as well.

What I remember about shopping with Mom when I was Kate's age, is the grown-up stores. Mom trying on things in the fitting rooms. And then, going to the kids' sections and trying on clothes. Kate doesn't do much of that yet. I can be pretty sure that the 5s or 6s will fit her. But someday, we'll do more shopping, and do it right. And have a latte afterwards. :)

Oh, and one other milestone, we had our first meal and birthday cake in our new house's dining room. I was happy about that, and so happy that it was spacious! No squeeeeeezing around the table like we used to in our old house! Plenty of space to move out a chair, sit down, get up to grab something from the kitchen, take photos...! Dining room is christened!

* * * * *

Today (Thursday) I'm fighting a cold, ugh. How luxurious and wonderful it would be to take a sick day, and fight a cold from my bed, using my new book (Jodi Piccoult's The Storyteller) and several naps as my effective weapons. Sigh. Do people my age do that anymore, ever?

I guess DayQuil is effective, too.




No comments: