Friday, May 29

A few Friday tidbits

Sent in our application for "The Club." It's just money, right, Shawn? (I still don't think he's convinced or happy about it, but he agreed to try it for one year. Compromise.) Swimming pool, ahoy! Waiting with bated breath for them to get back to me. Saw a picture/video on FB of the End-of-School Pool Party and it was stupid crowded! Ack. I hope it's not like that all the time. We'll have to be choosy about when we go. Also saw some flyers for upcoming events. They're doing a Father's Day Picnic on the Lawn, and a June 5 Wine Tasting event... doesn't sound too terrible. One champagne event I saw would, all by itself, reach the minimum food/beverage spend of $150/quarter (it was $75 per adult ticket). Date nights, ahoy, too! We'll see how it shakes out.

Can you join a social Club and not have to talk to anyone? (Haha, Only kidding....) (Mostly.)

------

Yesterday afternoon I had a brief rehearsal for a wedding at which I've been asked to sing this June. It was a rehearsal with the violinist. Kind-of weird since... no piano accompanist. But the mother of the bride, who's coordinating everything, really wanted us to meet. I'm a pretty confident soloist these days; I sing frequently at church, I'm 40 and I've been singing since I was 12, and it's NBD anymore. Well, right before I left for the practice (at this guy's house), I made the mistake of Googling his name + violin. Turns out he's the Assistant Principal Second Violin with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. !! Got a tad nervous at that point. Eep! A real live professional musician, and... little ol' me.

In the end, nothing at all to worry about. He was very kind, his wife and 3 kids were there, too, and I was "in good voice." I think my particular voice is well-suited to sing with violin -- something about the two timbres together works, which I was not aware of. I didn't even screw up. I think I appeared to be qualified. HA! We'll be in a pretty large church downtown in Atl., not miked, but hopefully the acoustic will carry my not-so-big sound well enough to be heard.

It was so fun to pretend to be a legit musician. Just hanging out, 1/2 hour practice with my legit musician friend. From the ASO. You know. Do this all the time.

(Squeeeeeee)

------

I'm hoping Ann won't text me today about walking, since I desperately need to make a run to WalMart to return some shorts that Kate didn't like (the girl is difficult to buy for and has no shorts for summer! Just bike shorts, which she insists on wearing with regular (short) t-shirts, a look which I do not approve) -- and get stuff for Alex for camp. Plus, I forgot my shoes (on purpose). Plus-plus, it's too hot.

------

Alex leaves for camp on Sunday. I haven't begun ANYTHING for it, not laundry, not care packages and cards (we leave them there when we drop him off so everything has to be done in advance), nothing. I'm sensing a bit of hesitance on his part, this year. Like two weeks seems too long and maybe he doesn't want to go. But he has said, and I know, that he'll have a blast and 2 weeks will fly by for him. Oh, this "letting go" thing of parenting. Do not like.

------

How are all you people?

No comments: