Wednesday, May 13

To Club or not to Club?

Before we bought our house, I inquired at the neighborhood across the street, which has a golf/tennis/pool/country club, if non-residents could be members. They said yes. We didn't have time last summer to take it any further, but as THIS summer gets closer, I'm somehow wanting a place for us to swim. On the weekends, in the evenings after long days at work or daycare or camp, I just feel like it would be nice to have somewhere to swim. (We bought a slip'n slide last summer, in lieu of having a place to swim, and I think Shawn would agree we don't really want to do that to our yard again. It kind-of kills the grass. And makes us nervous about wasting water, besides.)

I went to the Country Club this morning and walked around with the Membership Director. Who was, by the way, about 30 years old, if that, and wearing a hoodie, tennis shoes, glasses, and her hair was normal. Not coiffed. She was not AT ALL how you would have pictured her. She wants to have a Star Wars movie-on-the-lawn event, which told me just about all I needed to know. I liked her, is what I'm saying. She seemed like a normal person. I realize she'd be considered "The Help," if there were any rude, snotty people involved, but I liked her. I saw the stodgy retirees playing golf on a Wednesday morning, no surprise, but, well... I won't ever be there on a Wednesday morning! And I did not need to polish my one piece of monogrammed silver jewelry before I left this morning, is what I determined. Hee hee.

I think our hesitation is, are we "Club" people or not? We don't feel like we are. (Although we could have easily bought a house in that neighborhood, I guess.) Friends who know the area tell me that this particular club isn't the hoity-toity one -- and it obviously isn't, since we don't have to be recommended or invited by an already-approved club member in order to join. It doesn't even look like we'd have to dress up TOO much -- she did say that for some weekend dinners it's tablecloths and "dressier" but also that, if you're swimming, you can throw on a cover-up and come eat lunch in the dining room.

The fees for a social/pool membership are, I think, entirely reasonable. But would we choose to have dinner or a drink there, or would we just be going there because we have to achieve the minimum food and beverage spend? That, I don't know, and there's no way TO know unless we try it.

I would like to take my Mom and Dad there for Sunday brunch, when they visit. ;) And the kids to swim. And maybe that Star Wars movie!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I say CLUB! :) But I do love to swim, in a pool that isn't overly crowded.