Today I treated myself to an actual lunch hour. I had intended to go to school and do my volunteer job, and change the message on the outdoor signs, but realized the message that's up now will still be accurate through the end of the week...so, eh. They don't pay me enough (anything) to merit doing it when I don't feel like it and don't have to.
I went to the used bookstore instead. Aside from the patchouli incense they were burning up front in the store, which made me want to gag, and aside from it being so dang dark in there, I can't read the book spines (!! OLD EYES), it was a good choice for a lunch outing. Bought a $4 paperback (by Tracy Chevalier, a favorite). Dawdled over the entire Mitford series but decided I didn't need to buy them (or, if I'm going to re-buy them for myself, I'll buy a nice NEW boxed set). Still, was fun to re-read a few lines about Father Tim and Cynthia.
Next door is a Starbucks, and since my coffee from home was just not quite right this morning, AND I didn't sleep well last night, that worked out perfectly. Perhaps a warm Mocha on a Monday afternoon will be just the thing.
So far? Pretty nice day. :)
1 comment:
Nice. Love used bookstores. Have you read The Little Paris Bookshop? It is unusual, but I really enjoyed it. I also read The Cave by Jose Saramago, and I actually loved it as well. I so often can't bear the pain of a prize-winning book, but I couldn't stop reading this one and felt amused and enlightened by it! I was not necessarily entranced by the whole theme of the book, just by the asides and descriptions throughout. Don't let me fool you -- I've topped these two off with a John Grisham (I don't even like his books) and an easy Charleston-based read called The Lawyer of the Dog.
Post a Comment