The first week back hasn't been SO bad (but I wouldn't it order it off a menu of other options), I guess. We've made it out the door basically on time every day, the kids haven't had any homework angst, and work has been relatively stress-free. (Stupid, of course, but some of the stupid people have been tied up in meetings most of the week and therefore haven't had time to bother me. Except for once.)
Blessings, right?
It's all been leading up to today. My Dad's Australian cousins arrive this evening after dinnertime. I am thrilled to get to see Brett again, and meet his wife and family, neither of which he had, nor did I, when we met the first time in 1992, I believe it was. When we were in our 20s (late teens)! Naturally, Wednesday, I panicked and ran to Bed Bath and Beyond, to procure the Very Important Bathroom Details one needs (last-minute) when one is having guests. We never have decorated Alex's bathroom, which is also the guest bathroom, since moving in, back in 2014. We just hung up a shower curtain and called it good. Nothing on the neutrally painted walls. I looked at it Tuesday night and thought, "This looks like a sad, lazy person's apartment," and decided it Would Not Do. So I bought an over-the-toilet standing shelf and a framed print to hang on the wall. "Just remember, it's a boy's bathroom," Shawn admonished when I told him where I was. Ha! Nothing frilly, I promised. And lo, it looks so much better. Thankfully, the shelf was easy to assemble. I folded the towels just like they do on Pinterest, and added some existing knick-knacks and it looks like it was all meant to be. Hooray, bathroom!
Meanwhile, we rearranged the guest room/playroom, too, hung a picture on the wall in there (should have been done a year ago), and I made sure they had things that one needs in a guest room, like tissues, and bath towels neatly folded in a basket, and an extra blanket for the bed. I feel good about that room, too.
I'm not certain about what I'll serve for breakfast in the morning, but I do have a can of 8 cinnamon rolls, and enough eggs and orange juice to feed and water at least the kids, and even some turkey sausage, so I think we should be okay.
Tonight, however, is also the Middle School Dance -- and the one semi-formal of the year, at that. So I'll be running around this evening at school, making sure Alex is dressed up and ready, and Kate is happily sent home with her daddy, and the lemonade is mixed and the cookies placed on the tables. I love being on this committee with my two friends, but the events always seem to sneak up on us, no matter how early we start planning! Still, it should be fun.
Kate has had a hard time getting back into the school routine, i.e., going to bed on time and waking up happy. I don't know how to cure Persistent Sassy Attitude. I've tried to ignore, I've tried begging, I've tried charts, I've slammed doors and yelled. (Not proud of that last one.) She claims it's just part of her and she can't help or control it. I call bullshit and try to encourage her that YES, YOU CAN. Take a deep breath. Think before you speak. (Advice I need, myself). And then she says, "I'm not good, I'm just the worst, I'm not even nice," which is the same thing I think about myself. It's partly true, we aren't very nice to each other a lot of the time, but it all breaks my heart and exhausts me. Mostly breaks my heart. Do you know the cure for this?
Last night was NOT a good night for my car to decide it's not feeling well. Several dashboard lights came on. I took it to the dealership this morning and they still have it, so pray that they will be finished with it by three p.m. at the latest, so we can manage all the rest of this darling, darling happy life.
Thank God for Shawn, who helped me load up the things I need for the dance, and helped me decorate the bathroom on Wednesday, and helped me diagnose my car last night, and will Windex the 2 bathroom mirrors, and will help me retrieve my car and the kids this afternoon.
Thank God for Shan, who picked me up at the dealership this morning and bought me Starbucks.
Thank God for Jill, who texted me last night to ask, "How are you?" just when I needed a vent and a virtual hug.
Thank God for Ashley and Susan, who will make me smile this afternoon while we watch our big (so big!) kids dance the night away.
I do plan to collapse on Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment