We had the loveliest long weekend last week, including a visit from the grandparents. :) They arrived on Thursday, while Alex and I were at the Middle School Dance. In fact, their timing was just perfect; I had just walked downstairs to fetch Kate from Aftercare when I got the text saying, "We're here!" So she and I walked up just a little ways and met them outside the dance. By the time we got into the building, the DJ had dismissed the middle-schoolers, and cleanup had just begun. (Thanks for helping with cleanup, Mom and Dad!) Fifteen minutes later, we were done (amazing), and headed to Bahama Breeze to eat our first of many delicious meals together. Then I went to choir. A whirlwind of a day!
On Friday, I went to work and the g'parents babysat. I think they even had a good time. Kate insisted on a trip to Target, and Grandmommy couldn't resist her. Alex and Papa Joe kept busy with grocery runs and books and game systems, I guess. Kate Facetimed me twice while I was at work, which was cute. I like being asked, "Whennnnn are you coming hommmmme?" It makes me feel loved. I did come home, to crock pot Loaded Potato Soup, which is surprisingly delicious even without the bacon (no-meat Lenten Friday). I can't remember what we did that night but it's possible we played Apples to Apples Junior and had a few laughs.
On Saturday, we had to get up early to get the kids to a gymnastics make-up class at 9:00 am. It was kind-of a bummer all the way around (class was chaotic, folding chairs were cold, Mom and I were bored), but we got it on the books and therefore my pre-paid money did not go entirely to waste. And the rest of the day was spent watching Shawn and Papa Joe put together the NEW TRAMPOLINE! Wheeeee! Kate's first birthday present was the biggest, and the biggest hit. Obviously she loves it, and Alex loves it, and I love it, and if it would stop raining, we would be on it every afternoon after school. We, meaning all three of us! On my big brainstorm about things I ENJOY, one of the things I wrote down was 'jumping on a trampoline and doing back handsprings.'
That night's dinner was at Huey Luey's, our new fave Mexican place, with a Valentine's special price for a pitcher of smoooooth top-shelf margaritas. Yes, please! Super fun. I think we watched the horrible GOP debate when we got home, and went to bed pretty much at a decent hour (well, the grown-ups did... the kids' bedtimes are getting increasingly late on the weekends, and this is somewhat bothersome but (usually) not terrible).
On Sunday morning, I was privileged to sing a solo in William Byrd's Teach Me, O Lord. Byrd is one of my all-time favorites, and if I were only allowed to sing his songs for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be sad about it. I love the ancient sound. Despite having had a sore throat from Thursday through Sunday morning, I pulled it off without a hitch and got so many compliments my head blew up like a balloon and exploded. And then we treated ourselves to Dunkin' Doughnuts! ;)
I feel like I'm detailing too much, here, but it was all just so lovely, I want to remember the details. Sunday afternoon entailed more JUMPING outside, even though it was kinda cold, a brief visit from Andy and Peyton, grocery shopping with Mom (an activity we always used to share) and Oh yeah, it was Valentine's Day! Shawn had asked Mom and Dad way ahead of time if they would babysit so we could have dinner out, just the two of us. So sweet! Date night! So they ordered pizza and watched movies, and we went to an Italian place and had dinner at the bar. A+! I love having dinner at the bar, actually. It's cozier, to me. It was perfect. Last week's Downton Abbey on the DVR afterwards was an excellent addition to a delightful evening. So happy!
And then, of course, was Monday (I was so happy to have taken the day off), Kate's birthday. EIGHT. How is this even possible?? My little baby! I keep finding it hard to believe. She was so cute and sweet all day. She loved her presents -- a new purse from Justice, some lip gloss and nail polish, and a hippie sweater, all from Mom. A charm locket necklace from me, and a set of Jersey sheets of her very own. ;) A zebra striped sleeping bag from Gammy (it's SO Kate). We went to Total Wine. Maybe not the right place for kids, but they had fun enough, and us parents sure do like that store. More jumping/playing/watching TV/napping in the afternoon...and her dinner choice was Volcano, the hibachi steakhouse down the street. What fun. She was serenaded with the big Asian drums, ate her favorite, shrimp, and felt like queen of the world, I hope. Cake came afterwards, at home, where again, the pictures tell me she's all grown up but I simply can't fathom! Eight!
1 comment:
Lovely! I sometimes forget how close in age our girls are. Eight is great!
Post a Comment