I leave tomorrow for Germany. Am I ready? Not yet. I have bought a plug adapter, two luggage tags, and some new clothes; I have downloaded the airline app and made copies of my expedited passport (totally arrived in time, darn); and I have talked with the seasoned coworkers about where to find the ATM in the Munich airport. I've called AT&T and my debit and credit card companies to let them know where I'll be using their products. I even downloaded some podcasts to keep me busy during the long flights, and of course I'll take a book or two. I think I'm getting close to ready.
Work-wise, I'm also trying to prepare. Think smart. Sound professional. I have a need to impress, at this meeting, I think, which I'm not opposed to, but it's outside my comfort zone. Usually I am the attendee who sits quietly, listens, takes notes, and then I process and figure out what I think about things later. But I want to be on top of things for this one, and show 'em what I've got. Or at least, that's what I feel I'm expected to do. With the last few days of our manager's tenure remaining, maybe I'm starting to feel like I need to push harder, make a difference, be more leader-like, and make my career more meaningful. Or something. I'm wrestling with it because I really LIKE my "in the background" role and don't know if I want to give that up, exactly, but I also don't want to be seen as someone who needs another controlling manager. Lots of thoughts.
Tomorrow I'll be busy celebrating Alex's birthday in the morning (I took vacation time), while I pack my clothes and industrial-strength laptop bag. Tonight we'll go to dinner and maybe sing to him as a family. The week of the 25th, he'll finally get to have some semblance of a "party," which at 12, means just a friend coming to sleep over. Maybe a trip to the mall where I let them go off by themselves for a while (remember, Mom?). :)
I can't believe I haven't traveled abroad in so long. Since our family trip to Japan in 1999!
No comments:
Post a Comment